ENGINE TICKING

1998 BMW 540

Cincinnati Bell

February, 22, 2010 AT 9:12 PM

1998 BMW 540 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 175, 00 miles

I, m new to your site, and I'm looking to buy a used 1998 bmw 540i. I drove a car today that I'm interested in buying. 2 problems 1)when the car is idleing I hear a ticking noise. When I rev it up it goes away. The owner said it was normal and im unsure. 2) when I first start the car and put it in reverse while its cold it is solid. After the car warms up there is a couple second hesitation b4 it goes into gear. This car is really cheap and i'm expecting some problems. Just wondering what would cause the transmission to do this and wether that ticking noise is normal.

mhpautos

February, 22, 2010 AT 10:45 PM

Hi there,

The ticking may be a lifter failing, these should be replaced as a set and the transmission should have no lag at all, I think I would steer clear of this car as it may start to get expensive to repair, the transmission fault is the one that will cost.

Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford
Oil Change and Filter Replacement BMW 525i
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995