ENGINE PERFORMANCE PROBLEM1993 BMW 535I 6 CYL ...

1993 BMW 535i

jcespinosarsr

1993 BMW 535i 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

own a 1993 BMW 521i. Started getting hot. Flushed radiator and removed thermostat in summer. Worked fine unitl last week. In the middle of winter started getting hot. Ask a lot of people and they suggested to change water pump. Put a new one but still getting hot. When I push accelerartor I getting fluid on radiator. Please help. All my savings on this car. I cannot afford another breakdown. Lost my job and this is the only car to look for employement. Thanks a bunch.

Dr. Hagerty

Two things to check, the bypass line for the expansion tank often clogs and leads to the cooling system getting an air bubble in it and not allowing coolant flow. The other is the radiator can have deposits built-up inside the core, and aluminum radiators are not serviceable and should be considered for replacement. Oh, and do not ever run without a thermostat, engines are heat pumps and if you take it out, the engine cannot make it to operating temperatures, not good.

jcespinosarsr

Thanks Dr. Hagerty. Two questions. How do we check this bypass line for the expansion tank? Where is located?
I was told by a local store that they can clean the radiator with " special" ultrasound equipment and cook the radiator to return normal flow back to it. Is this true or a sales gimmick. Thanks.

jcespinosarsr

jcespinosarsr

jcespinosarsr

jcespinosarsr

jcespinosarsr

Dr. Hagerty

January, 20, 2009 AT 9:11 AM

Look for the black plastic hose that goes from the radiator to the expansion tank. The other thing sounds like snake oil to me.

Heater Hose Replacement Chevrolet Camaro
Water Pump Replacement Made Easy
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Serpentine Belt Replacement