CHANGING O-RING SEALS ON EVAPORATOR VALVE

1989 BMW 535i

walter5550

November, 30, 2009 AT 10:32 AM

Air Conditioning problem
1989 BMW 535i 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 196000 miles

Hi All,
I have recently changed the gas type for the A/C and done the conversion to latest technology (environmentally friendly).
Now the gas is leaking over 3-4 months to empty and I have been told to change the O-ring seals on the regulator valve of the evaporator.
Problem is to get the valve out as the piping is very tight and one clamp seems to be bolted in place from outside the fire wall (only accessible through opening under wipers but nor even visible)
Is there another means to remove the valve to enable the change of the correct seals (O-rings).
Thanks for details.
Walter

Dave H

December, 3, 2009 AT 4:58 AM

Hello .. thanks for the donation .. much apreciated

Hope this helps

EVAPORATOR
Removal & Installation
Discharge A/C system using approved refrigerant recovery/recycling equipment. Pull off rubber trim along engine compartment firewall. Remove wiring and drain hose from expansion tank. Remove expansion tank, and set it aside. DO NOT bend coolant hose.
Cut 5 wiring straps along firewall. Remove screws and pull up cover. Remove nut, 2 screws and bolt. Remove wiring. Cut and discard wire straps. Disconnect wiring and gas cylinder rod from left side of glove box. Pull off trim, detach clips and remove glove box.
Detach clips and lift out holder. Remove 3 screws and evaporator cover. Remove screw and lift out pipe. Remove expansion valve and evaporator. To install, reverse removal procedure.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_AAA2_612.png

walter5550

December, 3, 2009 AT 7:50 AM

[quote=" Dave H" ]Hello. Thanks for the donation. Much apreciated

Hope this helps

EVAPORATOR
Removal & Installation

Quote]

Hi Dave,
Thanks but can you elaborate on removal of gas cylinder rod - you do that from inside the car (behind the glove box)?
My problem is that the pipe holder through the firewall is bolted from outside engine compartment side but not accessible from there. The bolt is allen key and I can touch it through the opening under the wipers between the firewall and the engine compartment.
From inside the car you can see the back of the shaft of this bolt in a clamp holding the alu gas conduits.
Other question: Do I have to remove the evaporator as such or is it enough to lift out the valve once the piping is loose?
Thanks for clarification
Rgds // Walter

Dr. Hagerty

December, 6, 2009 AT 6:58 PM

Are you sure that's where the leak is? When you have a leak in the A/C system, dye is a good way to uncover it.

walter5550

December, 7, 2009 AT 1:01 AM

Yes Sir, has been verified with dye and UV light and shows traces of gas running down the copper pipe of the evaporator.
Apparently need to change O-ring seals to " green" ones to block smaller molecules of new gas components.
So I want to give it a try.