LOUD NOISE AT COLD WARM UP

BMW 535

gisloc

November, 7, 2007 AT 7:29 AM

Hey again. I Have a 1988 BMW 535i and here in north carolina it got down to 28 degrees last night so I decided to wake up around 730 this morning to see how my car does starting up in the cold. When I started the car the engine was almost 2 to 3 times louder then it normaly is. And my break lining light was on.I dont know if either of the two have anything to do with each other just figured I would let you know. My back windsheild defrost wouldnt work either. When the car warmed up it when back to normal loudness the break lining light went off and my back windshield defrost worked again. Is there something in my enigne that helps it warm up on cold days (not trying to be funning but everything on this car seams to have the " heated" feature on it). The car wasnt vibrating any different then it normaly does it was just really loud.I thought it was my belts so I poped the hood and it was comming from the engine. Any thoughts of what it could be?

Dr. Hagerty

November, 7, 2007 AT 8:18 AM

Please try to describe what the sound was. Cold does play tricks on things

gisloc

November, 7, 2007 AT 8:45 AM

It sounded like it was a belt that was cold and winning. Like and electric hum or something I really dont know how to describe it. My rpms wasnt any higher then norm. And I checked under the hood and it was comming from the engine area not from the fans or belts. But it wnet away after a few minutes

Dr. Hagerty

November, 7, 2007 AT 10:38 AM

It is possible this is a bearing noise, if it goes away after the car warms up, it may be difficult to find. Please try again when another cold start is available and try to pinpoint the source.

gisloc

November, 12, 2007 AT 2:01 PM

I'm pretty sure its my starter. When I tryed the cold start again I followed the noise to my starter so I shut off my car and it kept spinning. It only does it when its cold sometimes. Because like today it didnt do it and it was pretty cold out. So I guess i'm going to need to get a new starter

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Climate Control Stuck on Defrost?
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Cabin Air Filter Replacement