1992 BMW 520 HESITATION

• jsdebolt
  • 1992 BMW 520

1992 BMW 520 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

I drove thru a deep puddle and then the next time I drove it it had a real bad hesitation/ misfire and has had it for 2 months now
no engine light on

Friday, July 18th, 2008 AT 3:25 PM

• Docfixit

Check ingnition components they may have gotten wet also see if there is water in air cleaner.

Friday, July 18th, 2008 AT 3:36 PM
  • klshiel

Often when you get bad ignition wires wet it will run badly. Water my have gotten into the electrical system somewhere, but if that is all it is it should get better the next time you get it real hot because the water will evaporate.

Friday, July 18th, 2008 AT 3:39 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Is there a check engine light on?

Friday, July 18th, 2008 AT 11:17 PM
  • jsdebolt

No my engine light is not

Friday, July 18th, 2008 AT 11:31 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

The secondary air injection intake was placed in an unfortunate location on those models, when they encountered deep water there was a possibility of water going into the engine. There are no spark plug "wires" as these engines utilize coil over type ignition and it is once again possible to have a coil failure (or coils) The electronic sophistication of the newer BMW cars is such that they require diagnostic equipment that is used at the dealership and some of the higher end independent repair facilities, you may have to seek out one of them in your neighborhood in order to resolve the issue(s).

Saturday, July 19th, 2008 AT 6:49 AM