LOSS OF WATER FROM RADIATOR RESERVOIR

1996 BMW 518

jonbridger

March, 2, 2009 AT 2:46 PM

1996 BMW 518 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 109500 miles

i seem to be losing water a lot from the radiator reservoir but my engine doed not over heat at all. The pipe from the radiator to the head is very tight and seems to have no play when you squeeze it. Also when I undo th ewater cap to fill up the water it de compresses and fills with water again. The water is clean and there is no water in the oil and I am worried this is a problem with the head. Could you share any light into this problem for me please?

mhpautos

March, 2, 2009 AT 4:09 PM

Hi there, best you get the cooling system fully checked first, make sure that there are no external leaks, the pressure cap is ok, radiator & thermostat are functioning correctly and get a head check done, this will check for exhaust gasses in the cooling system, a sure sign of a head problem, start here.

Autotropolis12

March, 16, 2009 AT 12:48 AM

This is my beautiful metalic Black BMW 518i, 11 Months MOT, 5 months tax, Service history, new exhaust, immaculate and original BMW alloys, Electric sunroof, windows, mirrors, Panasonic CD player, Full walnut trim. I am a non smoker and have owned it for 10 years. Fantastic example of the classic 5 series which has the round headlights.

Coolant Drain and Refill
Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Coolant Drain and Refill Scion XD
Radiator Coolant Drain and Refill Mini Cooper
Coolant Drain and Refill Chevrolet Tahoe