FUSE BLOWING - NO TOP GEAR - NO STARTING

1991 BMW 318

jollyboyz

October, 9, 2008 AT 4:44 PM

1991 BMW 318 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

Car keeps blowing 5 amp Auto tranmission fuse. Fuse " pops" as soon as I turn ignition on. Just prior to this I could not select top gear whilst in D mode.
Now, I cant even start the car as the fuse No 28 for this model keeps blowing. Any ideas anyone- car was fine up to this issue.

Dr. Hagerty

October, 9, 2008 AT 11:11 PM

Was the wiring inspected? Was there work performed that could have caused this to occur?

jollyboyz

October, 9, 2008 AT 11:37 PM

No there has been no work done on the car to cause this problem. The wiring has not been checked as I do not have awiring diagram as of yet. I am keen to rectify the problem myself, if you have any other suggestions.

Dr. Hagerty

October, 10, 2008 AT 5:09 PM

Fuse 28 is in control of the cigarette lighter and the radio antennae. A 1991 318 US spec vehicle did not have an electronic transmission control so there would not be a fuse to blow. If you could send the last 7 characters of the VIN, I can determine the vehicles production date. ♥

jollyboyz

October, 12, 2008 AT 1:56 AM

This Car is a jap Import to New Zealand. Its Fuse 28 for the Auto Transmission that keeps blowing. Now, as soon as I try ignition barrell this fuse blows. Fuse 32 is Cig Lighter. It was made in June 1991. Vin is WBACA42090AL23095
This is a standard car, no modifications, that otherwise is in great condition. Last drive home I had no top gear selection. Then It all went iffy from there.

Dr. Hagerty

October, 13, 2008 AT 10:50 AM

That fuse controls the transmission range switch, it may require replacement

umwoo012

November, 6, 2009 AT 1:22 AM

Which part needs to be changed? And is it easy?

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe