1991 BMW 318 FUSE BLOWING - NO TOP GEAR - NO STARTING

• jollyboyz
  • 1991 BMW 318

1991 BMW 318 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

Car keeps blowing 5 amp Auto tranmission fuse. Fuse " pops" as soon as I turn ignition on. Just prior to this I could not select top gear whilst in D mode.
Now, I cant even start the car as the fuse No 28 for this model keeps blowing. Any ideas anyone- car was fine up to this issue.

Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 4:44 PM

• Dr. Hagerty

Was the wiring inspected? Was there work performed that could have caused this to occur?

Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 11:11 PM
  • jollyboyz

No there has been no work done on the car to cause this problem. The wiring has not been checked as I do not have awiring diagram as of yet. I am keen to rectify the problem myself, if you have any other suggestions.

Thursday, October 9th, 2008 AT 11:37 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Fuse 28 is in control of the cigarette lighter and the radio antennae. A 1991 318 US spec vehicle did not have an electronic transmission control so there would not be a fuse to blow. If you could send the last 7 characters of the VIN, I can determine the vehicles production date. ♥

Friday, October 10th, 2008 AT 5:09 PM
  • jollyboyz

This Car is a jap Import to New Zealand. Its Fuse 28 for the Auto Transmission that keeps blowing. Now, as soon as I try ignition barrell this fuse blows. Fuse 32 is Cig Lighter. It was made in June 1991. Vin is WBACA42090AL23095
This is a standard car, no modifications, that otherwise is in great condition. Last drive home I had no top gear selection. Then It all went iffy from there.

Sunday, October 12th, 2008 AT 1:56 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

That fuse controls the transmission range switch, it may require replacement

Monday, October 13th, 2008 AT 10:50 AM
  • umwoo012

Which part needs to be changed? And is it easy?

Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 1:22 AM