2003 BMW 316 RATTLE ON START UP

• spitfireste
  • 2003 BMW 316

Noises problem
2003 BMW 316 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 120000 miles

In the mornings I am getting a rattle from underneath the car but when it is warm it stops unless I when I am driving it does it when under load.
It sounds like pinking in the old cars,
Can you help?
Steve

Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 7:56 AM

• Dave H

Check the heat shield is not loose. Have the catalytic convertor checked for damage and wear !

Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 9:44 PM
  • Autotropolis12

A rattling noise coming from the front of the engine (VANOS area) may be heard for a few seconds after start up. The VANOS adjusting units may cause a momentary rattling noise after the engine is started due to varying torque of the camshafts before sufficient VANOS adjustment oil pressure is built up. When the engine is switched off, oil bleeds out of the high-pressure chamber in the VANOS adjustment cylinder. This can cause the VANOS adjustment piston to move freely against the housing during engine start up causing the momentary rattling noise. This noise has no effect on engine power output or durability.

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 12:03 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Dude, they did not put VANOS on the four cylinder motors.

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 1:50 AM