BATTERY NOT CHARGING

1999 Honda Civic

augman3

May, 20, 2013 AT 6:35 PM

I have a '99 honda civic lx that the alternator and battery went out it is a manual transmission. I repalced them and now the battery will not charge. I replaced the alternator a second time due the new alternator failed the bench test. The latest alternator passed the bench and the car still does not charge. It runs fine but if I use heat/ AC or radio the car will not restart due to dead battery. As a side the vehical speed sensor stoped working at the same time which I have replaced twice and it still does not work. I thought it was a bad alternator connector so I went to a junk yard found a honda with and replaced about 1 foot of wiring harness but still does not charge? Any tips or thoughs?

Not Charging Battery

Battery Will Not Charge

saturntech9

May, 20, 2013 AT 6:45 PM

Do you have a multi meter? Were going to have to do some testing. Also what size engine do you have?

augman3

May, 20, 2013 AT 6:52 PM

Yes I have a multi meter

Engine is 1.6L sohc 4-cyl 16 valve engine w/5 speed manual transmission

saturntech9

May, 20, 2013 AT 7:08 PM

Alright with the key in the run position see if the white wire and the black wire with a yellow stripe at the alternator has battery voltage?

augman3

May, 22, 2013 AT 11:04 AM

The key was in position 2 which turned on the accessories but was not started.
First check battery voltage good
Next check white wire to ground = 0
then white wire to black/yellow strip =0

back/yellow strip to ground = 0

Did not get battery voltage.

saturntech9

May, 22, 2013 AT 9:56 PM

For the white wire check the 80 amp fuse which is number 41 in the under hood fuse box. Next for the black and yellow wire check the 7.5 amp fuse number 15 in the under dash fuse box. Let me know what you find.

augman3

May, 23, 2013 AT 9:11 AM

It is fixed! Thanks when I check the fuse the first time I must have pulled the wrong fuse. I am very greatful for the help!

saturntech9

May, 23, 2013 AT 12:26 PM

Your welcome glad to hear you found the problem I had a feeling you had a blown fuse from the bad alternator.

augman3

June, 1, 2013 AT 6:44 PM

Reaching out for any help I can get. So I replaced the fuse it works well for about 7 days and now has stopped charging and keeps blowing fuses every time I start (that same spot as was blown prior). Any suggestions?

saturntech9

June, 1, 2013 AT 7:30 PM

Have you checked the wire for short to ground yet?

augman3

June, 30, 2013 AT 3:59 PM

Yep tried that. Do you know if the oxygen sensor is on that same fuse as the alternator for a 1999 Honda civic? Still trying to find the problem.

Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Alternator testing done right