BATTERY NOT CHARGING

• augman3
  • 1999 Honda Civic

I have a '99 honda civic lx that the alternator and battery went out it is a manual transmission. I repalced them and now the battery will not charge. I replaced the alternator a second time due the new alternator failed the bench test. The latest alternator passed the bench and the car still does not charge. It runs fine but if I use heat/ AC or radio the car will not restart due to dead battery. As a side the vehical speed sensor stoped working at the same time which I have replaced twice and it still does not work. I thought it was a bad alternator connector so I went to a junk yard found a honda with and replaced about 1 foot of wiring harness but still does not charge? Any tips or thoughs?

Monday, May 20th, 2013 AT 6:35 PM

• saturntech9

Do you have a multi meter? Were going to have to do some testing. Also what size engine do you have?

Monday, May 20th, 2013 AT 6:45 PM
  • augman3

Yes I have a multi meter

Engine is 1.6L sohc 4-cyl 16 valve engine w/5 speed manual transmission

Monday, May 20th, 2013 AT 6:52 PM
  • saturntech9

Alright with the key in the run position see if the white wire and the black wire with a yellow stripe at the alternator has battery voltage?

Monday, May 20th, 2013 AT 7:08 PM
  • augman3

The key was in position 2 which turned on the accessories but was not started.
First check battery voltage good
Next check white wire to ground = 0
then white wire to black/yellow strip =0

back/yellow strip to ground = 0

Did not get battery voltage.

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 11:04 AM
  • saturntech9

For the white wire check the 80 amp fuse which is number 41 in the under hood fuse box. Next for the black and yellow wire check the 7.5 amp fuse number 15 in the under dash fuse box. Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 9:56 PM
  • augman3

It is fixed! Thanks when I check the fuse the first time I must have pulled the wrong fuse. I am very greatful for the help!

Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 AT 9:11 AM
  • saturntech9

Your welcome glad to hear you found the problem I had a feeling you had a blown fuse from the bad alternator.

Thursday, May 23rd, 2013 AT 12:26 PM
  • augman3

Reaching out for any help I can get. So I replaced the fuse it works well for about 7 days and now has stopped charging and keeps blowing fuses every time I start (that same spot as was blown prior). Any suggestions?

Saturday, June 1st, 2013 AT 6:44 PM
  • saturntech9

Have you checked the wire for short to ground yet?

Saturday, June 1st, 2013 AT 7:30 PM
  • augman3

Yep tried that. Do you know if the oxygen sensor is on that same fuse as the alternator for a 1999 Honda civic? Still trying to find the problem.

Sunday, June 30th, 2013 AT 3:59 PM