Battery light on dash

CHICADII1@GMAIL.COM
  • 1993 LEXUS GS 300
While driving two days ago my battery light flashed on and off. Then today while driving it came on and stayed on. I just got a starter, battery and alternator not too long ago. What else could be the problem? Please someone help this is my only means of transportation to get my five year old to school and me to work. Help please!
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 5:23 PM

The "battery" light means the generator has stopped charging the battery. You can run the engine on the battery, but it will only last about a half hour if you do not use the lights, heater fan, and wipers.

It is possible your new generator has a problem, but there can be wiring problems related to it also that stop it from working. The place to start is by having the charging system tested, but if the warning light continues to be intermittent, that testing has to be done while the light is on, meaning while the problem is occurring, to be valid.
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 5:43 PM
CHICADII1@GMAIL.COM
Caradiodoc, I want to say thanks and I will have my husband to get that checked for me. If it is wiring problems that could be rather expensive right? Most likely I will better off investing in another car you think?
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 6:05 PM
If you really want expensive electrical problems, get a newer car! I drive a 1994 model only because my rusty trusty 1988 Grand Caravan rusted apart. The carpet is the only thing holding the front and rear together! I have a 2014 truck, but I am a nervous wreck worrying about all the many computers that were never needed years ago.

Most of the related electronics is built into your generator, so the system is pretty much self-contained. There is basically one, two, or three wires needed to make it work. A few voltage tests will pinpoint whether it is a wiring problem or a failed generator. Given the recent history, a replacement generator has a better chance of failing than one that has been working reliably for a long time. This is certainly no reason to replace the entire car.
+1
Thursday, May 4th, 2017 AT 6:26 PM
CHICADII1@GMAIL.COM
Thanks a million for your advice. I really appreciated I will be sure to let you know the results :-) Thanks!
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 2:30 AM
KEN
Good to hear, please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, May 8th, 2017 AT 4:19 PM