Bad fuel pump after oil change?

CDEHRHART
  • 2005 JEEP LIBERTY
Today, I took my 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 6 cylinder in for an oil change and tire rotation at a local Pep Boys. They also did an AC check as it was blowing warm. After picking up the vehicle and driving it for a moment, the car was shaking when I got to a nearby stop light (about 30 seconds away), and it then shut off and would not restart. A group of military guys were kind enough to help push it back to the shop.
Pep Boys looked it over and determined there was very little fuel pressure and advised they could fix it in a few hours for about $1100. Needless to say, I had it towed back home for free thanks to my insurance. This brings my ultimate questions.
1. Will a fuel pump just go bad suddenly, with no warning? The Jeep ran perfectly with no starting issues at all.
2. Is it possible in the maintenance I described to cause this issue?
I have checked thrice over all the hoses and show nothing loose. Oil level is fine. Any help and advice is appreciated
Saturday, July 5th, 2014 AT 3:42 PM

Ya they can do that. I f you have a large rubber hammer bang the bottom of the fuel tank andsee if it starts if it does then it would tell you. Hard telling how long it would work however. You can also use the palm of your hand may work as well.
Saturday, July 5th, 2014 AT 5:19 PM
CJ MEDEVAC II
KINDA SOUNDS LIKE YOU DON'T DO YOUR OWN MAINTAINING

HOWEVER YOU DO KINDA KNOW WHEN YOU MIGHT BE GETTING "TOOK"

I AM ALSO A JEEP KINDA FELLER, FROM THE BEGINNING (1981) I'VE HAD SIX CJ-5s AND WILLYS

CURRENTLY "MR. JEEP" MY 1977 CJ-5 AND "WILLY" MY 1946 WILLYS-NOW A LITTLE OLDER AND MORE RESERVED SINCE MY U.S. ARMY AIRBORNE RANGER DAYS OF "WOO-HOOING!", I'VE HAD THESE TWO AS DAILY DRIVERS SINCE 1991. PRETTY MUCH TOTALLY REBUILT 'EM ALL BY MYSELF!

OUT OF NECESSITY, I HAVE MASTERED WORKING ON THESE PUPPIES FOR MYSELF AND PRIVATELY FOR OTHERS. MINE ONLY GO TO A "SHOP" FOR WHEEL ALIGNMENTS.

ALTHOUGH NOT "PROFESSIONALLY TRAINED" I HAVE A DECENT BACKGROUND IN AUTOMOTIVE THEORY (PRE-COMPUTER) AND HAVE WORKED AT AN AUTOMOTIVE MACHINE AND ENGINE BALANCING SHOP

THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN LISTEN OR IGNORE ME- I DO THIS TO ATTEMPT TO HELP-BUT IT'S ALL YOUR DECISION IN THE END

SHOULD YOU NEED A FUEL PUMP-AND IT'S NOT ANOTHER PROBLEM

A FUEL PUMP FOR YOUR RIG COSTS ABOUT THIS MUCH-DEPENDING ON YOUR PREFERENCES

HECK, MY BROTHER-IN-LAW GOT A NEW BRAND NAME ONE FOR HIS TAHOE FOR $65 ON EBAY

JUST SHOWING YOU HOW MUCH "LABOR" OR "SCAMMING" YOU MAY BE UP AGAINST

BIG-BRAND NAME PLACES (INCLUDING A STEALERSHIP) ARE NOT THE ONLY "QUALIFIED" PEOPLE AROUND

I WORKED PART-TIME FOR A NATIONAL PARTS STORE DELIVERING PARTS FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS.

I AM REALLY PICKY!

I WAS IN 1ST RANGER BATTALION, WHEN THEY SENT ME TO "RANGER SCHOOL" (YOU TUBE WILL 'SPLAIN IT ALL) TO GET MY TAB, I MOSTLY LEARNED ABOUT "HUMAN BEHAVIOR" WHEN IN LIFE OR DEATH SITUATIONS. I NOW HAVE THE ABILITY TO PICK OUT A LIAR/ DRUGGY/ A WEASEL/ A BUDDY BOINKER/ ETC IN FIVE MINUTES OR LESS OF TALKING/ LISTENING TO THEM!

WHICH LEADS ME TO THIS PART!

IMMA GONNA PIPE IN ANOTHER OPTION

ONE OF THEM----READ IT IF YOU WANT TO----CLICK ME OFF IF YOU WANT TO

SOME SHOPS DON'T USE THE OLE SHOP FLAT RATE SYSTEM. THEY JUST SORTA DO THE "LET'S SEE IF I COME OUT TO THE GOOD" IF I CHARGE "X" AMOUNT

WE ARE ALLOWED TO GET OTHER ESTIMATES!

COULD BE THAT YOU ARE BEING RIPPED. OR MAYBE NOT!

SINCE I'VE BEEN COMPUTERING ONLY THE LAST FEW YEARS----I'VE LEARNED TO USE "SHOPZILLA COMPARATIVE SHOPPING"

FOR INSTANCE I NEED A CERTAIN FUEL PUMP FOR MY 1946 JEEPI FOUND IT AT SEVERAL SITES (TOO MUCH $$$) BUT I DID OBTAIN THE PART NUMBER. THEN TOOK IT TO SHOPZILLA.I FOUND THE EXACT SAME FUEL PUMP AT MANY SITES. SHOPZILLA SHOWED ME THAT INSTEAD OF PAYING $80ON THE OTHER END OF THE SPECTRUM, ANOTHER PLACE (THAT IT SOMEHOW KNEW IN THE CYBER WORLD) HAD THE SAME PUPPY FOR $21. WHAT A DEAL!---I ORDERED 2 OF 'EM!

SORTA A STUPID EXAMPLE. HUH

NOW DAYS IT TAKES SOMETHING LIKE THAT FOR SOMEONE TO UNDERSTAND THE OLD WAY----BUT THE IMPROVED. CJ MEDEVAC WILL WORK TOO

LET'S GO OVER TO CJ MEDEVAC-ZILLA

HERE'S A "ONE STOP" THAT KNOWS MANY OF THE LOCAL GARAGES. MAY BE ABLE TO NOT ONLY "COMPARISON SHOP"--BUT ALSO BE ABLE TO GIVE YOU SOME INSIGHT ON "QUALITY WORK"

WE MUST SORTA BALANCE THIS OUT."QUALITY" BEING THE MORE IMPORTANT ATTRIBUTE!

THE TRICK IS FINDING A SHOP THAT IS DEPENDABLE AND FAIR. SOME ARE A LOT FAIRER THAN OTHERS

. THE STEALERSHIP IS PROBABLY ON THE OTHER END OF THE SPECTRUM. THERE ARE SOME OPERATIONS THAT ONLY THEY CAN DO

SOON YOU WILL KNOW WHO TO TALK TO 1ST!

TAKE A "SMART BUDDY" WITH YOU, THEY MAY BE ABLE TO INTERJECT IN STUFF YOU FORGET TO SAY, THIS WOULD HELP YOU DECIDE WHO TO TAKE IT TO----THIS MAY BE YOUR GUY (SHOP) "FOREVER"---SO LETS NOT HAVE A 20 SECOND CONVERSATION DURING THE SELECTION PROCESS. TAKE YOUR SILVER TONGUED FRIEND ALONG, TO TAKE UP YOUR SLACK!

GO TO OTHER STORES I AM MENTIONING---WE WANT A COLLAGE OF CANDIDATES---NOT JUST FROM ONE STORE--SORTA KINDA A 2ND OPINION OF THIS 2ND OPINION

HERE IT IS. I CAN 100% VOUCH FOR HIS "HUMAN BEHAVIOR SCHOOLING"! ('CAUSE I SAW THE SHOPS/ TALKED TO THE PEOPLE TOO!)

GO TO YOUR POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORES (MORE THAN ONE MIGHT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER) ASK TO SPEAK TO THE "COMMERCIAL SALES MANAGER".

HE'S THE ONE SENDING PARTS TO THE LOCAL AUTO SHOPS----SOMETIMES THESE SHOPS ARE ALL OVER, AND ARE SORTA IN THE "TURF" OF ANOTHER PARTS STORE---I MEAN THIS AUT STORE SERVES THIS SIDE OF TOWN---ANOTHER SERVES THE OTHER SIDE OF TOWN. THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO INVESTIGATE OTHER PARTS STORES

MOST LIKELY AS THE "MANAGER" HAS MADE IT THRU THE RANKS, HE HAS VISITED MANY OF THE LOCAL SHOPS AND HAS DELIVERED PARTS TO THEM FOR QUITE SOME TIME. JUST FROM SEEING THESE OPERATIONS, HE MOST LIKELY WILL KNOW WHO DOES GREAT WORK, IN A TIMELY MANNER, AND POSSIBLY AT WONDERFUL RATES.

HE'S KINDA THE GUINEA PIG THAT HAS SEEN THE DECENT SHOP vs THE "HOARDER SHOP"----HE'S DOING YOUR HOMEWORK FOR YOU. EVERY DAY HE WORKS. HE'S A REALLY GOOD ADVISOR, COMPARED WITH YOUR "NEIGHBOR" WHO HEARD A HORROR STORY (TRUE OR NOT TRUE) ON FACEBOOK

"I". MAYBE "YOU" ALSO, WANT CORRECT WORK PERFORMED----NOT NECESSARILY THE CHEAPEST!

THIS IS ALSO THE GUY WHO WILL-FROM HERE ON OUT, DO YOUR OIL CHANGES/ ETC. HE IS NOW YOUR JEEP'S PHYSICIAN. NO MORE OF THE GUY JUST OFF THE STREET STRIPPING OUT YOUR OIL DRAIN PLUG HOLE OR NOT "TOPPING OFF" YOUR OIL TO THE "FULL MARK"

YOUR KEY QUESTION TO ASK, JUST BEFORE YOUR CONVERSATION IS OVER: "WOULD YOU SEND YOUR OWN MAMA THERE?"

IF YOU HAPPEN TO TRY ANOTHER STORE. SEE IF THE SAME NAME(S) COME UP

PERSONALLY, I LIKE THOSE DECENT-WAY OUT-RURAL SHOPS.I DON'T LIKE TO PAY FOR THE BIG BUILDING. AND THE 4 "MANAGERS" WHO DO "EXECUTIVE" WORK". AND ALL OF 'EM OWN THOSE "BIG TOYS"

'COURSE I DO MY OWN WORK ON MINE. SO I'M SORTA A BYSTANDER LOOKING IN. I DID WORK AT AN AUTO PARTS STORE PART TIME.I DELIVER TO THE WHOLE MIX OF SHOPS IN MY AREA.I KNOW WHO I'D SEND MY MAMA (OR YOU) TO!

DO LET US KNOW YOUR OUTCOME FELLOW JEEP OWNER

-1
Saturday, July 5th, 2014 AT 9:54 PM