Back rotor is touching the the back-plate

PAPET
  • 2014 DODGE CARAVAN
The other day while driving to work, I heard a grinding noise coming from left rear wheel. So I went to my mechanic to see what causing the noise. He test drive it and said that the backplate is causing the noise. So push the backplate with a long screwdriver and the noise disappear. Prior to this, he serviced the rear brakes a month ago. And yesterday it happened again. As usual, he push with screwdriver but this time he use a hammer. So my question is, what causes the rotor to touch the backplate? Thanks and hoping for your most appreciated reply.
Thursday, September 10th, 2020 AT 2:51 PM

KASEKENNY1
This is not uncommon after brake jobs or some other reason like hitting something in the road.

The way to fix this is remove the backing plate and hammer it straight so that the bend is out of it or replace the backing plate.

Whether the mechanic did it or not, the fact is, it is bent and needs to be repaired or replaced.

They are not expensive so I am not sure why he didn't just replace it the first time but I attached the part and price if you are interested. Thanks

FYI - HD disc brakes means heavy duty. More then likely you need the without HD brakes.
Thursday, September 10th, 2020 AT 4:17 PM
PAPET
Thanks a lot for the info.
Friday, September 11th, 2020 AT 2:56 PM
KASEKENNY1
You are welcome. Please keep us posted with how this turns out. It sounds like an easy fix but knowing that was the solution would be a nice confirmation for others that may have the same issue because this is pretty common. Thanks
Friday, September 11th, 2020 AT 7:15 PM

Sponsored links