COOLANT LEVEL IS BECOMING LOW

1998 Audi Quattro

kmk08

March, 5, 2009 AT 2:34 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Audi Quattro 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 76000 miles

Hi,
I have a 98 Audi A4 Quattro. A month ago, I took it to my mechanic as it showed the coolant level low.(Below minimum). The mechanic said that the problem is with head gasket washer and he replaced it, and filled the coolant in.
Now again, I got a warning light, and when I checked, the coolant level is back to below minimum.

What could be the reason? Whats wrong with my car?

March, 5, 2009 AT 3:56 PM

If you don't have an actual leak, the coolant is going somewhere it doesn't belong. Have him/her block and pressure test the cooling system.

Are you overheating and white smoke on the back?

kmk08

March, 5, 2009 AT 4:50 PM

I generally start the car and wait till the temperature comes to middle of C and H.

There is no white smoke coming from the tail pipe back.

March, 5, 2009 AT 4:56 PM

Get the mechanic to block and pressure test the system-

kmk08

March, 9, 2009 AT 12:20 PM

Hi rasmataz,

As suggested, i've informed the mechanic and he blocked and pressure tested the cooling system. The pressure remains absolutely constant. He checked it more than couple of times.

He said, " there is no leak, the coolant is not leaking " But then, why it got reduced to below minimum, when i've put in the coolant just last month.

Can you pls help me out here.

March, 9, 2009 AT 3:26 PM

Did he pressure test the radiator cap. If he did and continues to lose coolant its leaking somewhere-where? Not too familiar with Audi's. I recommend take it to another place

Why did he do this?

The mechanic said that the problem is with head gasket washer and he replaced it

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage