KEY STUCK IN IGNITION AND NOW WON'T START

1997 Audi Quattro

kristina9876

May, 17, 2010 AT 9:58 AM

1997 Audi Quattro Manual

I have a '97 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8 that won't start. When you turn the key absolutely NOTHING happens.
Here's what lead to the issue: I started the car and heard a " click" noise that was unusual. While driving everything electrical stopped working - the directionals, lights, air blower (which showed on the console that it turned on, but no air came out, and then it shut itself off). When I arrived at my destination, the key wouldn't come out of the ignition. I was able to start the car back up, with no problem, and then drove home. I forced the key out of the ignition and all the electrical came back on, but now the car won't start up. The ignition switch has been replaced and we've tried bypassing the lock cylinder but it still won't start. I replaced the ECU yesterday and again, nothing. We've checked the security system and there were no issues there either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

May, 24, 2010 AT 12:35 PM

Hi kristina9876,

Sorry for the delay in replying.

Are you able to crank the engine?

The initial part where the key could not be removed from the ignition could be due to a fault in the interlock system.

If the gear shift is not correctly seated in P or N, the ignition would not be able to crank the starter.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test