DIES AFTER 10 MIN

1993 Audi Quattro

CMCAUTOWORKS

September, 27, 2008 AT 4:51 PM

1993 Audi Quattro V8 All Wheel Drive Automatic 110000 miles

THIS CAR RUNS GREAT FOR 5 MIN THEN DIES AND WON'T RESTART UNTILL 2-3 HOURS LATER--JUST BOUGHT AND HAVE NO HISTORY--BUT KNOW NEITHER BANK HAS SPARK-HAVE NOT CHECKED FUEL PRESSURE

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

2CarPros Ken

September, 27, 2008 AT 11:34 PM

Hi, thanks for contacting us, I would go to this page and follow the tests.

http://www.2carpros.com/first_things/engine_stalls.htm

let me know how it goes.

CMCAUTOWORKS

September, 28, 2008 AT 11:09 AM

LINK WASN'T TO HELPFULL---BUT I DID PERFORM BLINK CODES THIS AM= 2 CODES CAME UP---RAN CAR UNTILL IT DIED AND PERFORMED BLINK CODE PROCEDURE TO AUDI--CODE 2111-SPEED SENSOR CAME UP--WHICH COULD BE NORMAL SINCE CAR WAS TESTED NOT RUNNING-ALSO CODE 1111 CAME UP=FAULTY ECM---BUT COULD BE GROUND PROBLEMS---I AM CHECKING THOSE NOW--BUT WILL RESET ECM AND TRY TO GET CODES WHILE IT RUNS FOR THE 5 MIN IT DOES---ANYMORE SUGGESTIONS? GENERIC INFORMATION ISN'T VERY HELPFULL--I'VE BEEN ASE CERTIFIED FOR 35+ YEARS--HAVE RUN MY OWN SHOP ETC. JUST NOT FAMILIAR WITH THIS VEHICLE ABD THOUGHT SOMEONE THERE MAY HAVE A SIMILAR EXPERIENCE
THANKS ANYWAY--BUT IF YOU THINK OF SOMETHING LET ME KNOW

2CarPros Ken

September, 28, 2008 AT 12:13 PM

That link shows you fuel pressure testing and igntion system testing, when the engine dies what do you loose fuel or spark?

CMCAUTOWORKS

September, 28, 2008 AT 2:19 PM

CHECKED CODES=1111=FAULTY ECM BUT INFO I HAVE SAYS TO CHECK GROUNDS AT ECM--BUT SIMILAR EXPERIENCE ON SAME VINTAGE BMWS/WITH SAME SYMTOMS TELLS ME ECM--

2CarPros Ken

September, 28, 2008 AT 7:31 PM

With a wiring diagram check the main system grounds using a multimeter. If all the grounds check out replace the ECM.

CMCAUTOWORKS

October, 7, 2008 AT 3:27 PM

PROBLEM WAS SPEED SENSOR ON BELL HOUSING--GLAD I COULDN'T FIND ECM TO TRY--TRACED ALL WIRES FROM ALL SENSORS AND EXPERIENCE TOLD ME IT WASN'T ECM--CHECKED RESITANCE OF SPEED SENSOR WHEN COLD=1KOHM--WHEN CAR = INFINITE----CHECKED AT ECM BECAUSE SENSORS VERY HARD TO GET, THANKS ANYWAY
MC

2CarPros Ken

October, 7, 2008 AT 4:22 PM

So it was the speed sensor, the first thing the computer caught, why didnt you repalce it in the first place?

CMCAUTOWORKS

October, 8, 2008 AT 7:15 AM

BECAUSE ACCORDING TO AUDI'S REPAIR PROCEDURE THAT CODE WILL COME UP ANYTIME THE MOTOR IS CRANKED AND DOES NOT START(AS IN THIS CASE WHEN TESTED) AND WILL BE BE STORED--ALSO ECM REPLACEMENT CODE CAME UP ALSO---I DON'T BELIEVE IN THROWING PARTS AT VEHICLES--I LIKE TO " PROVE/TEST" FOR WHAT THE PROBLEM IS--IT JUST SO HAPPENS THAT OBD SYSTEMS ARE ONLY AS GOOD AS THEY ARE PROGRAMED AND ARE NOT INFALLIBLE--IN THIS CASE I TESTED SEVERAL SENSORS I THOUGHT COULD BE THE CAUSE---AND WHEN RESISTANCE AT ECM WENT FROM 1KOHM (NORMAL) TO INFINITE WHEN CAR DIED FOR SPEED SENSOR BUT REMAINED NORMAL FOR CRANK SENSOR I HAD A GOOD IDEA WHAT THE CULPRIT WAS--IT'S NOT UNUSUAL FOR UNPREDICTABLE ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS THAT AREN'T IN THE NORMAL REPAIR FLOW CHARTS TO CAUSE WEIRD RESULTS---ALSO, WHEN CHECKING CODES AFTER LETTING CAR SIT UNTILL IT WOULD RESTART--WITHOUT CRANKING IN A NO START SITUATION--NO CODE FOR SPEED SENSOR WOULD COME UP--ECM DIDN'T PICK IT UP AT TIME OF FAILURE? INTERESTING BUT GOES BACK TO TO THE WAY I HAVE BEEN TRAINED CHECK AND DOUBLE CHECK YOUR RESULTS TO CONFIRM DIAGNOSIS BEFORE THROWING PARTS ON--ESPECIALLY IN VEHICLES THAT ARE SOMEWHAT RARE AND PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE--
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP--