1993 Audi 90 radiator fan runs continuously

LATCHKEY
  • 1993 AUDI 90

1993 Audi 90 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 65922 miles

My radiator fan recently started running after engine shut off. Today, it started running and now runs until thel battery is dead. When hooking up jumper cables, the fan starts up again before engine is started. I had the fan switch replaced about 4 months ago after the car overheated. It has recently started getting colder outside so perhaps coolant related?
Thanks,
Scott

Friday, October 31st, 2008 AT 11:00 PM

Check the cooling fan relay could be sticking closed -switch side

Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 11:01 AM
LATCHKEY

Ok - this may sound stupid but when I opened the relay box, it appears to be missing some of the relays - and specifically some of those relating to the cooling fan. I don't think anyone removed them recently either. Is it normal to have open spots? And when you say switch sides - can you be more specific? Thanks much.

Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 2:07 PM

Switch sides-means the switch side of the relay

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fan_relay_4.jpg

Saturday, November 1st, 2008 AT 2:20 PM
LATCHKEY

Ok - so Ive located that panel. How would I know if the switch is stuck? #2 and #11 are empty. Or am I looking for another one on or near the radiator? I am a bit of a novice as you can see. :-)

Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 AT 8:19 PM

Remove the no.3 and 6 and see what happens

Sunday, November 2nd, 2008 AT 9:28 PM
LATCHKEY

So I pulled each one of them when the car was being jumped and kept coming back and forth testing different combinations, but the fan continued even when both the 3 and 6 were pulled - together and separate. I would have expected the fan to stop altogether at some point - with the switch removed yes?

Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 9:08 PM

The cooling fan circuit is shorted somewhere to a power source

Monday, November 3rd, 2008 AT 10:50 PM
LATCHKEY

Ok - so any idea how a novice would be able to fix that? Or should I bring it to a service center? Also, what should be the approximate cost to do so? Thanks for all your help.

Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 2:48 PM

Sir-my adivse is bring her in to the pros this problem can be complicated for a DIY. As for the cost the flat rate labor varies with location could be $70.00-$130.00 per hr.

Tuesday, November 4th, 2008 AT 2:54 PM
LATCHKEY

Do you happen to have the wiring diagram for this model that I could see on this site? Also, is it possible that the run on fan switch needs replacing? Is there a way to test that?

Thursday, November 6th, 2008 AT 9:53 AM