Alternator, charging problem

LISA JACOBS REIGH
  • 1995 NISSAN MAXIMA
I was driving on the highway, I had air conditioner running which I never used before, upon entering bay tunnel I turned the headlights on and the battery light came on. I was able to continue driving 60 miles with air conditioner and lights turned off. Car finally shut off while sitting in traffic jam. We fully charged three different batteries and had to switch batteries three times to get the car home. Car will start with jump box but shuts off when jump box is removed now. Replace the alternator and ran fine the first time it was started in the driveway, the miss in the engine in idle was even gone. Shut the car off and started it again, headlights shined overly bright and smoke coming from under the hood. Found that the replacement alternator was on fire! Quickly extinguished the fire with water since that was all that was available. What could be causing this? Could it be a short in the wiring harness? Or bad replacement alternator? I find the situation strange since the battery light did not appear until first time using the ac and turning lights on at the same time. Please help, this is my only transportation...
Thursday, June 2nd, 2016 AT 8:29 PM

MHPAUTOS
The fire will probably be the result of a dead short to earth, the alternator will have to be replaced, but I would get a mechanic to do this as they will also have to test the system to find the cause of the short. If precautions are not taken you will fry the main loom and this will be very expensive to repair, as is stands now you may already have wiring damage that needs to be located first.
Friday, June 3rd, 2016 AT 4:35 AM