QUESTIONS FOR ALL CARS WATER IN RADIATOR

2001 All Other Makes All Other Models

nimitjainrocks

February, 20, 2010 AT 4:16 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2001 Questions for all other cars 4 cyl Manual

i by mistake left radiator cap opened therefore all the coolant got vanished when I was driving and the engine got damaged it cost me a lot
I want to ask why this happened because according to car should work properly after cooling is there any other problem? Pls answer this query

mhpautos

February, 20, 2010 AT 6:20 AM

Hi there,

The cars cooling system is a closed loop pressurized system, the purpose of the pressure cap is to maintain a given constant system pressure, when a liquid is subjected to pressure the boiling point is raised by about 4Deg per lb pressure, this allows the engine cooling system to run at a higher temp with out boiling, with out the cap the coolant will boil and with the overheating of the engine you will see bearing failures, blown head gaskets and cracked heads due to uneven expansion rates of alloy heads and cast iron blocks, and piston rings over heat to the point that they loose tension and this causes loss of compression in the engine, so the radiator cap as a very important item and with out it you will destroy engines.

mark (mhpautos)

nimitjainrocks

February, 20, 2010 AT 11:24 AM

It was really helpful

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement