1998 318I CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

• lesdunham
  • 1998 All Other Makes All Other Models

I have a 98 318i 4 cyl 5 spd. The check engine light comes on and indicates bank 1 slow response. Changed cat conv. And the 2 oxygen sensors. Still shows the same. Nothing seems to be the same when the light comes on (rpms, speed, hot/cold). Gets about 30 mpg and that has not changed. I am thinking something in the emission or fuel management system is intermittently changing the mixture and picked up by the front o2 sensor. Any suggestions?

Monday, August 28th, 2006 AT 1:04 PM

• Mikeybdman

Can you list the actual code that keeps turning on the MIL?

Monday, August 28th, 2006 AT 1:57 PM
  • lesdunham

P#420 is what I remember besides the description. It could be days or weeks before the check engine light comes on again. It has come on 5 times in the last 6 months. The BMW dealership were the ones who said it was isolated to the catalytic converter and O2 sensors. It is better but obviously not a complete diagnosis. The next time it comes on I will write down the complete display figures. Thanks

Tuesday, August 29th, 2006 AT 2:08 PM