MC 3.1L POSSIBLE ELECTRICAL ISSUES - HELP!

1997 All Other Makes All Other Models

Ryano70

April, 20, 2007 AT 2:04 PM

I've had my Monte for 5 years, I'm the 2nd owner and the car was immaculate when I got it (22,000 miles, perfect body, perfect interior.) The previous owner was my aunt, who moved to Cali shortly after buying the car, and left it sitting in the garage for a few years. I do have a few issues that all seem to be linked to the electrical system (plus one that I know was my fault.)

1.) Since I got it, the fuel gauge has never worked. It will show full as soon as I fill it up, and just before I am about to run empty. All other times, it floats between F and E. (I've since had the fuel pump replaced, full setup, and the gauge worked for about a week before it messed up again.)

2.) My wiper fluid jets have never worked. Same fluid has been in the car since I got it.

3.) After a year or so, my sunroof stopped working. It has enough juice to get about halfway back, then slows until it finally dies. After a few days, it will have enough " charge" to get it closed again.

4.) A couple of months ago, my Cruise Control stopped working. The switch is in the stick along with the wiper fluid jets.

5.) This one was my fault. I added the NASCAR-style spoiler (w/ brake light) to my car, and when trying to splice the light to my 3rd brake light, none of my brake lights work now. Checked all fuses, all are good. Could I have tripped a breaker or something? If so, where would I find this?

Thanks for any reply!

Ryano70

April, 23, 2007 AT 1:31 PM

Please, I'm a college kid tryin to get by on my own. I can't afford to take this thing to a dealer or mechanic around here. If someone could just help me get my brake lights working so I don't get ticketed, I'd really appreciate it. I can make a donation if I just get some kind of answer. Please! : Cry:

Zoplax

April, 23, 2007 AT 2:00 PM

Have you also checked the fuses under the hood?

My '96 has at least one or two covered electrical boxes in there with fuses, maybe also check those if you haven't already in case they've blown and you just haven't found them yet.

Ryano70

April, 23, 2007 AT 7:02 PM

Yep, had to take off the freakin' brace to get to them, but I checked those too. Someone said something about the breakers, but I have no clue where to find those. Thanks again

Zoplax

April, 24, 2007 AT 9:55 AM

I wonder if they meant fuses, breakers implies circuit breakers which kind of serve the same purpose as fuses (only there are a type of circuit breakers which can be reset after a short occurs, rather than thrown away like a dead fuse is).

If the car is still driveable maybe see if any friends or family know of a mechanic who would be willing to take a look at low or no cost. Maybe even go so far as to ask one of your college professors or post pleas for help on bulletin boards on campus.

Ryano70

April, 25, 2007 AT 11:52 PM

Well thanks for the reply, I'll see what I can do.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet