1996 GEO METRO

• Michael
  • 1996 ALL OTHER MAKES ALL OTHER MODELS

I have a 96 metro 4 cyl with 126000 miles on it. I just replaced the timing belt, but in order to get the car to run the timing marks are way off. I aligned the bottom marks but the top marks are off by 5 teeth! Why won't the car run when all the marks are aligned?

Sunday, November 19th, 2006 AT 4:22 PM

• Catch_15

The car WILL run with all of the marks aligned. You just said that the top marks were off. I don't get what you're asking here.

Tuesday, November 21st, 2006 AT 1:45 AM
  • Michael

If all of the timing marks are lined up the car will not start. The cam timing marks do not line up. They must be advanced 5 to 7 teeth for the car to run. Why is this and what can I do to fix it.

Friday, November 24th, 2006 AT 5:42 PM
  • Briano.a33

I understand what ur saying. I am changing a timeing belt rightmost and my marks are off 4 teeth on the crank. It was running fine but I noticed the tensioned was froze up so I got it and a new belt, got all the way to making sure the marks lined up
but they don't, so I looked on here to see what to do. I saw ur q and a and I saw where u got a bad answer cause they didn't understand ur question. I can't answer it but I can say I have the same problem and looks like Im just gonna leave it off cause u said urs didn't run when they lined up but did when it was off like u found them. Ur question really saved me some headache and a lot of time and money. Thanks bro.

Monday, January 28th, 2013 AT 10:11 AM