QUESTIONS FOR ALL CARS MOTORHOME CHARGING PROBLEM

1986 All Other Makes All Other Models

Gerry2817

July, 8, 2009 AT 2:12 PM

1986 Questions for all other cars V8 Automatic 90000 miles

I need to find out why my 86 Pace Arroe motorhome alternator is howling and heating up within seconds after starting. The RV has been garaged for 3 years, I started it up a month ago, worked fine. Started it up yesterday, ran 10 seconds, then the alternator howld getting louder and louder. I shut it down right away, checked the serp. Belt, it was hot. Found a burnt wire going from a clip on top of the alt. To a sylenoid for carging two deepcell batteries. Whats the problem?

M_H_RITZEL

October, 14, 2009 AT 12:24 PM

The problem could be two things. One there is a short in the wiring and the batteries a pulling too much current. I have seen where a car was kept in a barn for a long time and the mice had chewed through a wire using the insulation for a nest. This is probably the problem. The other one is that the altinator bearings are bad and the altinator is dragging making the belt to heat up but that would not cause the wire to burn. Remove the serp belt and check to see if the altinator turns free. With the wire burnt I would look at the wiring and batteries.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX