1974 QUESTIONS FOR ALL CARS 260Z W/280 BLOCK & SU

• XTCoX
  • 1974 All Other Makes All Other Models

1974 Questions for all other cars 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual? Miles

I have a 1974 Datsun 260z w/280z block & SU carburetor. There is white vapor coming out of the back of the tailpipe, there is no cat. Converter. Why is this?

Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 1:41 PM

• Docfixit

White vapor is indicative of coolant entering combustion chamber. Check oil see if normal. Also check coolant for loss.

Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 3:27 PM
  • XTCoX

Are so wrong.

There was a vacuum hose that had been disconnected from the distributor cap's timing advance regulator.

The white vapor was caused by faulty ignition timing, a.K.A, incomplete combustion.

Honestly, I cannot believe that this option has not been addressed on this site. Car pros.

More like 2guyswithbasicautomotivetraining. Com

Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 1:48 AM
  • mhpautos

Hi there,

The first reply was correct for the question posted, you indicated white vapor which is a sign of coolant in the combustion chamber and this would account for the best part of 99% of this symptom, mind you the response has suggested that you check the cooling system and oil and has not claimed that this is the problem, we don't have the advantage of viewing the problem first hand so we must rely on the information posted, I feel that your comments are quite uncalled for, I am sure that every moderator on this site would suggest this check first up.

Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 2:42 AM
  • Docfixit

Thanks Mark
XTCoX I'd bet my 45 years Automotuve experience that a vacuum line off the advance will not cause smoke. The advance does not effect engine timming until @1800 RPMS.
I'll pray for you

Friday, June 19th, 2009 AT 1:48 PM