Alb

BBBAT
  • 2006 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD
Antilock brake making noise no lights on dash
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 8:03 PM

That isn't much to go on. If the noise only occurs when you're applying the brakes, the noise is probably normal when the system is activating. The issue then is false activation when it isn't needed. The most common cause on GM vehicles is a loss of signal from one of the wheel speed sensors. That can be caused by rust buildup under a sensor that pushes it away from the toothed tone ring. Rust buildup on the tip of the magnet in the sensor can do that too.

The fastest way to find this is to connect a scanner to view live data during a test drive. Wheel speed signal strength is related to speed. As the vehicle slows down, the signals get weaker. If something causes the signal to be abnormally weak to start with, it will get even weaker at slow speeds to the point the computer can't read it. When that happens it will assume that wheel has locked up and will activate the hydraulic controller to try to get the wheel spinning again.
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 8:26 PM
BBBAT
New sensor on front brake pads seem like the ABS is trying to engage when I press the brakes.
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 8:34 PM
BBBAT
What do I try now
Sunday, December 27th, 2015 AT 4:15 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Do you mean the sensor on the pads? The abs sensor is not part of the brakes. It is part of the wheel hub

Sunday, December 27th, 2015 AT 6:33 PM
BBBAT
That I had both parts replaced sensors oem hubs and brakes
Sunday, December 27th, 2015 AT 6:38 PM
BBBAT
That I had both parts replaced sensots om hubs and brakes
Sunday, December 27th, 2015 AT 6:38 PM
ASEMASTER6371
Ok, thanks, it could also be the rears that are causing the issue

Sunday, December 27th, 2015 AT 7:00 PM
BBBAT
Only does it at low speed antilock is engaging
Tuesday, December 29th, 2015 AT 8:18 AM
Go back and read my first reply about needing a scanner to view live data to see which signal is being lost. For everything that generates a voltage mechanically, meaning a generator / alternator, distributor pickup coil, ABS wheel speed sensor, etc, three things are needed. Those are a coil of wire, a magnet / magnetic field, and most importantly, movement between those two. Faster movement causes an increase in the voltage being developed. Faster movement comes from increasing engine speed for a generator, and increasing wheel speed for a speed sensor. Signal voltage drops at lower speeds, and that's when you say the problem is occurring. The signal drops too low for the computer to see it so it thinks that wheel has locked up and is skidding. To the computer that is a normal condition and is what it is there for to correct. The noise you're hearing is the valves pulsing on and off to do their thing and reduce brake pressure to the affected wheel. Since the computer is reacting to what it considers a normal condition, it thinks there is no defect so it doesn't set a diagnostic fault code. There is no easy way to figure out which wheel is causing the problem other than by watching the wheel speed readouts on a scanner.
Tuesday, December 29th, 2015 AT 3:54 PM
BBBAT
Have appointment tomorrow at Erick Chevrolet to get it on machine to see what is going on thank you so much
Tuesday, December 29th, 2015 AT 3:59 PM