Air Conditioning- Compressor Clutch Not Getting Power (electrical issue)

CLINTC
  • 1999 FORD WINDSTAR
Ok.
Here it goes! No power to AC Compressor Clutch. Here are the details:
1) Unit DOES have freon
2) There IS power up to relay for clutch (#204) that is in the PCM (fuse box under hood) when using a test light
3) Cooling fans DO kick on
4) When AC switch is turned on (in car) the RPM does change and switch looks to be working fine
5) AC comp went out at once (no intermittent issues)
6) No power to low pressure cut off
After researching this I'm thinking it could be the relay in the CCRM (constant control module)? Although I can't find a good enough diagram to find it! Everything looks like it's on firewall by driver but I can not find this little guy!
Please help with what you can. Van has 275,000 miles on it so I can't dump money in it and I can't afford a $90 electrical diagnostic from the specialist. Please advise- I am fairly good with some basic mechanics. I have tried to figure this out and the open circuit with no luck. Now it's a challenge!
Thanks again, Clint

Friday, May 16th, 2014 AT 6:34 PM

MHPAUTOS
You need to check system pressures with a duel manifold gauge, there are high and low pressure switches that will stop the compressor if the system pressures are too high or too low, start here.
+1
Saturday, May 17th, 2014 AT 12:02 AM
CLINTC
Thank you for your reply! I have already tried jumping the low pressure switch (2 wire switch-used paper clip) to try and force comp on. The high pressure is 4 wire do I did nothing there. I don't have gauges however a radiator shop had put one on and indicated about 3 pds in system. The ac quit several months ago during very hot conditions in AZ about 4 hrs after I added some freon. Any addition thoughts? Is there a way to bypass high pressure cut off? Thanks again for your help!
-1
Saturday, May 17th, 2014 AT 8:30 AM
MHPAUTOS
You really need to get the pressures checked, if you by pass the safety switches you can destroy the A/C if there is a problem, that is what the switches are for.
+1
Saturday, May 17th, 2014 AT 8:35 AM
CLINTC
Forgot to ask. If pressure is too high, can you bleed that off? Is there a way to test high pressure switch ( it's as shrader valve). Thanks.
Saturday, May 17th, 2014 AT 11:26 AM
MHPAUTOS
You just can't mess around with the A/C you need to do a bleed off with the correct equipment, refrigerant is extremely dangerous and miss handling it can cause serious personal injury, I highly recommend that this is done by a tech with the correct equipment. The system is charged with a specific weight of refrigerant, you can't guess this, it is just not possible.
-2
Saturday, May 17th, 2014 AT 2:32 PM