Air conditioning

THESPYDAYOTA
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My A/C and heat seem to only blow out no matter what the setting is at night. When using the A/C, I feel the presence of cold air when I put my hand near the vents, but it blows out the same low speed no matter what the setting is on. The same applies for the heat.

My passenger floorboard is not wet or leaking. I have changed out the blower motor and the blower motor resister. Everything seems to be connected fine. I swapped out the A/C relay and even the A/C comp diode. The Freon level is fine.

Why would I only feel the air blow out strong at night instead in the heat of the daytime when I need it most.
Monday, July 17th, 2017 AT 9:09 AM

MHPAUTOS
Is the fan speed switch working? With a new blower motor and resistor I would be looking at the fan switch.
+1
Tuesday, July 18th, 2017 AT 5:32 AM
THESPYDAYOTA
The fan speed switch is working. I was patient enough today to just wait it out as I drove around town running errands. I feel the presence of cold air near the vents, but it isn't blowing out at the pressure it should to be on any setting whether it's 2, 3, 4, or 5. What I experienced today is that if I wait about 5 minutes or so, it will begin blowing out and blowing out with excellence. It always begins the same: cool with low blowing pressure, then eventually builds up to blow strong and cold, equivalent to the setting I have the dial turned to.

This process seems to occur faster at night or in actuality, a cooler atmosphere. I still am not sure if the actuator or blend doors are doing their jobs correctly because if I decide to run my a/c at night, the part of the front windshield near the vents fog up a little and I always use the wipers to clear it out although it will appear seconds later. Is this normal? This is with the position setting on the person sitting in the chair with the arrow pointed to their chest. I do not smell the presence of coolant (been there with an 02 Grand Cherokee) and neither is my passenger or driver floorboards wet.

I'm wondering if the condensor in front of the radiator is just old or clogged. I took the grill off and used a garden hose to spray off debris the best that I could.

I can also tell that the load from running the a/c is wearing on the either the power steering pump pulley, alternator pulley, or clutch itself because I sometimes hear a slight knocking noise. It used to be a grinding noise for a few seconds, but I had some freon removed and it went away. The idler pulley, belt tensioner assembly, serpentine belt, water pump, and water pump pulley are brand new.

Once again, thanks for all help. I'm not a mechanic and I don't know all the correct terminology for parts, but I understand more than the average person.
Thursday, July 20th, 2017 AT 5:50 PM
THESPYDAYOTA
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Not all the time, but recently I have noticed that my A/C will not blow out air. It turns on, the compressor engages, I hear the blower motor fan spinning (the way it should sound), and I feel the presence of cold air near the vents, but it's not coming out no where near the pressure it should whether on setting one through setting five.

I have changed the blower motor and the blower motor resistor and still get the same results. Sometimes, after a while, it will just begin blowing based on the setting I have it on increasing as I turn the speed dial. I have read a forum about taking off the panel and pulling out the air/heat module under the radio and cleaning some leads behind the circuit and I have done that. I still get the same results. Air barely blowing out and sometimes during the time I drive, blowing out the way it should.

This car was not made with a cabin air filter and with everything I am seeing, it seems as if my A/C evap may be clogged. Does anyone know of anything that could cause this and if it does look like my evap is clogged, is there an easier way to clean it without having to take down the dash? I questioned at one point if the actuator doors are not opening and closing the way they should.

Could it be the control module itself?
Friday, July 21st, 2017 AT 11:08 AM (Merged)
KEN

It sounds like you have a mode door actuator that has gone out. Here is a guide and some diagrams (below) on what it will take to get the car fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-blend-door-motor

It looks like the actuator is vacuum operated so check the small vacuum lines going into the fire wall.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/low-or-no-air-flow-from-vents

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
+2
THESPYDAYOTA
This is an update I posted earlier:

I have also took off the grill and sprayed off the condenser with a garden hose to clear out debris.