92' GS CODE 4

1992 Acura Vigor

Vigor

August, 24, 2008 AT 5:18 AM

For answers to your Acura Vigor question go to
http://www.acuravigorclub.com

The answer is found on (read answer below)
http://www.acuravigorclub.com/FAQ/FAQs2.htm

Sometimes, the ECU will give an erroneous Code 4.It gets tricked! A bad alternator may put out voltage spikes which make the ECU think the Crankshaft Position Sensor is bad. Sometimes it will put the engine in "Limp Home Mode," which limits the engine to 3000rpm and causes it to hesitate.

Sometimes, a Code 23 or Code 53 (Knock Sensors) will be indicated instead.

To test the alternator, drive the car with all accessories off and the CEL should not come on. When you turn on all the electrical stuff (lights, blower, defogger), the alternator should be able to keep up with the demand. If turning on the accessories sets the CEL and you get the same code, your alternator is bad.

Another way to test it is to remove the round connector from the back of the alternator. If the symptoms go away"”and then return when you plug it back in"”the alternator is bad.

Give thanks to a Vigor user all the way in ARUBA :)

bryan5446

June, 27, 2007 AT 3:38 PM

I have a 92 Acura Vigor Gs, with a 5cyl engine, 240,000 miles, it runs great most of the time but occasionally, especially when its raining the check engine light comes on and it runs poorly like it is only running on four cylinders instead of five, and it won't go above 3 thousand RPM's. I have taken it to three shops, including the Acura dealership and they all come up with the error code 4, which points to the crank angle sensor. I replaced the crank angle sensor, timing belt and water pump but that has not solved the problem. It still messes up and still comes up with error code 4! Have you ever heard of this problem? Or do you have any ideas on what the problem could be? Help!

Bruce Hunt

June, 28, 2007 AT 1:32 PM

I would bet it is running on four. You need to think about replacing the plug wires and when doing so get the good ones and make sure they are seated down correctly on the distributor. I might also suspect the distributor and the gasket.

Vigor

August, 24, 2008 AT 5:18 AM

Sometimes, the ECU will give an erroneous Code 4. It gets tricked! A bad alternator may put out voltage spikes which make the ECU think the Crankshaft Position Sensor is bad. Sometimes it will put the engine in "Limp Home Mode, " which limits the engine to 3000rpm and causes it to hesitate.

Another way to test it is to remove the round connector from the back of the alternator. If the symptoms go away" and then return when you plug it back in" the alternator is bad.

Give thanks to a Vigor user all the way in ARUBA : )

Vigor

August, 24, 2008 AT 5:21 AM

By the way, the round connector in the back of the alternator is a GREEN connector, kinda hard to reach but it's doable.

Also, when on www. Acuravigorclub. Com click on TIMELY TOPICS to view different how to's etc of the Vigor.