STEERING PROBLEM1999 ACURA TL 6 CYL FRONT WHEEL...

1999 Acura TL

Laura Michener

July, 7, 2009 AT 8:12 PM

Steering problem
1999 Acura TL 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

99 Acura TL 6 cylinder, Auto, front wheel drive
Power Steering Pump Problem

We purchased a rebuilt power steering pump and had the mechanic replace it. We also replaced the alternator. The acura makes the same screeching noise before the change out. The mechanic who replaced the pump said the pump should be broken in and the noise will go away. We are not to happy with this comment and we wonder if he is correct. I am afraid to purchase a new power steering pump because it can run close to $400 plus labor to install it. How do you know if the car is not having rack and pinion problems?
Any suggestions. When you turn the wheels of the car the noise is much stronger.

mhpautos

July, 7, 2009 AT 9:17 PM

Hi there,

Breaking in the pump is a load of rubbish! You may have a loose belt faulty pump, unfortunately this noise will have to be heard as belt noise and the screech of the off loader valve are different and hard to describe, I would be thinking its a faulty pump, but to make sure the line pressures must be checked first.

Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage