2003 ACURA RSX TYPE S ENGINE NOISE

• chance7777
  • 2003 Acura RSX

My car is a 2003 Acura RSX Type S, completely stock version // No after market Modifications // standard transmission // 4 cylinder engine// 71,000 miles.
I was told by Honda after taking it in for hearing a deep knock noise when I shift gears that my short block engine will have to be replaced for $5,687.53 due to Rod Bearing // Balance Shaft Noise. Can anyone please tell me if this is needed? Is there something I can do to salvage the engine or do I absolutely have to purchase a new engine? Thank You for any assistance that is given.
Chance7777 is my ID for this site.

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 5:19 PM

• rasmataz

The noise is it more of a thudding or thumping-does it intensify from idle to part throttle? To pin point the noise do a cylinder balance it will tell you where its coming from.

Who knows it might be detonation/spark knock/pinging.

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 AT 9:05 PM
  • chance7777

The noise is more of a thumping noise that does happen when the car is idling and I'm about to shift into the gear. Can this be repaired or do I have to buy a brand new engine?

Thursday, October 4th, 2007 AT 1:53 AM
  • rasmataz

Sounds like main bearings it can be done underneath-just get the crank kit that's bearings/crank.

Thursday, October 4th, 2007 AT 2:50 AM