1996 ACURA RL CRUISE CONTROL NOT WORKING

• chuckie365
  • 1996 Acura RL

1996 Acura RL 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102, 13 miles

Hi,
I have a 96 Acura RL and when I try setting the cruise control on the car, the green light does not come on and the car does not go into cruise control mode. Can someone please tell me if there is a fuse for the cruise control system or relay that controls power to it? Thanks!

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 5:43 PM

• bluelightnin6

Check fuse #20 (20-amp) in the under-dash fuse box

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 10:17 PM
  • chuckie365

Just to be sure. You want me to check the ECU fuse right? What exactly is the ECU and what does it do with relation to cruise control. Thanks!

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 11:06 PM
  • bluelightnin6

Fuse #20 has several different circuits on it. The cruise control circuitry goes to the fuse #20 as well as several other components. The individual components don't necessarilly have to interact with each other.

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 11:08 PM
  • chuckie365

Ok appreciate the information, what other symptoms might I see if fuse 20 indeed was blown? Again thanks for the quick responses! Much appreciated.

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 11:10 PM
  • bluelightnin6

Most likely car wouldn't be able to start and turn signals will not work.

Since this is the case, most likely a faulty fuse is not the culprit. Check your brake lamps to ensure they are working. The CC and brakes use the same switch to work. If the CC doesn't work AND the brake lamps do not work, suspect faulty brake lamp switch. Let me know what you find.

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 11:13 PM
  • chuckie365

Just checked. Brake lights working fine. One thing I forgot to mention, I pulled Fuse # 1 under the hood because of problems with my ABS. Is it possible the problem is associated with that?

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 11:19 PM
  • bluelightnin6

Did the CC stop working after you had trouble with the ABS? It can definitely interferre with the CC if the ABS has issues because the CC uses the brake system to operate.

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 11:22 PM
  • chuckie365

You know I dont really know. The ABS started making these crazy noises and leaking fluids and the mechanic said it would be about $1000 to fix. To stop all the noises he pulled the #1 fuse. Maybe thats why I have the CC problems now.I guess I might have to be without it. If theres anything else you can think of i'd appreciate it. If not no worries. And again thanks for giving me the time of day ; -)

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 11:25 PM
  • KHLow2008

Reinstall the # 1 fuse to test. If the cruise control works now, you don't have to go any further.

Saturday, December 5th, 2009 AT 11:35 PM