1992 ACURA '92 INTEGRA WON'T HOLD IDLE

• Eyez
  • 1992 Acura

1992 Other Acura Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 255000 miles

I have a ’92 Acura Integra RS. It recently stalled on me so I did some maintenance and replaced a few parts hoping that it would fix the problem. Well, it’s been 3 weeks, $450, and a lot of headaches and it still sitting where it last moved.

The engine will start but won’t hold idle for too long. It holds idle for about 10-15 seconds, and then it’ll die out. So I tried giving it some gas while it was idling but all that did was cause the engine to die out faster.

I’ve changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, PCV valve, spark plugs, dashpot diaphragm, and even made sure the main relay is in good working order. I’m out of ideas at this point. Any suggestions…

Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 5:52 PM

• rasmataz

Recheck the fuel pressure, test the TPS and MAP sensors, electronic air control valve and if it has an EGR valve check that too-

Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 6:07 PM
  • Eyez

Regarding your suggestions, are they all components that can be replaced, or are you suggesting I check the wiring aspect for these components?

Also, can you tell me what tools I'll need to perform each specified inspections?

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 11:44 AM
  • rasmataz

Sir-this problem can be complicated to figure out my advise is bring it in.

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 11:54 AM
  • Eyez

Ras, thanks for that advice. I don't know how to say this politely, so I apologize in advance if it offends you in any way.

The reason why I'm here in this forum is to avoid being %& % by (greedy) mechanics who will charge you an arm and a leg, and your neck, brain, heart, and what ever else they can get out of you just to get the car diagnosed and (not even completely) fixed. Studies show that individuals who have taken their vehicle to the mechanic, end up going to the same mechanic 3 to four more times after the initial visit, for the same issue. This excludes visits for oil changes and stuff like that.

Not to mention the amount of bull*&$%* they give you to try and " up-sell' you into getting maintenance and/or repairs you don't even need. Please don't take this as a blanket statement for all mechanics. There are some good honest ones out there, I'm sure. I just haven't met or encountered one in my lifetime.

Thanks for your time.

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 4:34 PM
  • rasmataz

It doesn't offend me am the type that goes with quality performances not the big fast $$$$$$$ that will ruin you at the end-God is not sleeping

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 6:58 PM
  • KHLow2008

From the description of the symptoms, it most probably is due to poor idling and possible causes are :

1. Idling speed sdjusted too low. Could be air passage restriction to IAC, throttle body or idle adjust screw. Get those parts cleaned.

2. Compression loss. Could be due to tight valve clearance. Get a compression test done to see if you have sufficient and uniform compression. Check valve clearance. Do you have overheating or coolant losses issues?

3. Weak sparks. Check the ignition coil.

4. Valve timing. Possibly the timing belt has skipped a tooth or 2, check the ignition timing to confirm.

Wednesday, June 24th, 2009 AT 11:59 AM