1997 Acura Integra ECT sensor high input

PATRICK4286
  • 1997 ACURA INTEGRA
I have a 97 Acura Integra and have been having check engine light issues. The issue I'm trying to address here is that of my ECT sensor. The code was for high input to this sensor. I checked the voltage on the wiring harness and was getting battery voltage when according to both the repair manuals I have I should only get 5 volts. I measured the voltage that was coming out of the ECU for the sensor and I got 5 volts, as well as continuity between the wire coming out of the ECU and the voltage wire on the ECT sensor wiring harness. So, I guess my question is, how do I have separate voltages on a wire that has continuity? And how do I address this issue and get this check engine light off?

Thank you for any assistance,
Patrick
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 10:31 AM

DOCFIXIT
Hi
Check voltage at TPS and IAT.
Let me know
Thanks for donate
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 11:51 AM
PATRICK4286
Don't mind donating one bit if this site can help me figure this damn car out. Well, the voltage for the TPS and IAT are both 5V
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 12:50 PM
DOCFIXIT
TPS, IAT, ECT and O2 all get 5V on green/black wire from ECM. So somewhere after wire breaks out to ECT it must be in contact with another wire carring 12V. Any recent repairs that could have pinched wiring? Was wire you checked continuity on ECM D 11?
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 1:17 PM
PATRICK4286
There is continuity with the ECM, and on the ECM side there is 5V to ground. I have replaced the timing belt last fall and the speed sensor last month. Don't think I would have pinched any wires doing those jobs.
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 1:36 PM
DOCFIXIT
When you checked voltage at ECM was connector off? If yes connect and back probe wire
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 1:47 PM
PATRICK4286
No the connector was on and I back probed it like you said.
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 1:55 PM
DOCFIXIT
Well some where wire is picking up 12v you could check wiring from ECT to ECM or run another wire
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 2:38 PM
PATRICK4286
Well, I feel like an ass. I was getting my voltage reading from the temperature sensor that is more towards the intake manifold. The one directly below the distributor does have the correct voltage of 5V. I pulled the back up and ecm fuses and waited 10 seconds before putting them back in and the check engine light went off but came right back on within 2 seconds of the engine running.
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 2:45 PM
DOCFIXIT
I figured something was wrong cause if continituy on wier and 12v would have 12v at ECM. Check for continuity on ECT red/white wire to D2 on PCM also ohm check ECT cold high resistence as it warms resistence drops
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 3:00 PM