AIR CONDITIONER ONLY WORKS UP TO 50MPH

1996 Acura Integra

tegyy96

May, 11, 2010 AT 3:17 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1996 Acura Integra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

AC stops blowing cold when driving over 45-50mph. When Im ideling its blows cold gets down to 47 degrees. Even if im doing 60mph and throw in Nutral its starts to blow cold as soon as I put in 5th gear and engage the clutch it stops blowing cold in a minute or so. I know that my compressor clutch is good. How? I ran an + power line straight from battery. And went for a ride and my ac worked at all times no matter how fast or slow I was going.
I have checked for any leaks.
I had a shop do vacuume and re-charge my ac. They also checked the low and high pressure and replaced pressure valve. No leaks were found. I checked for any bad fuses or relays none were found.

A/c 02 L 300

Ac Will Not Turn On!!!

May, 12, 2010 AT 1:11 PM

Hi tegyy96,

Thank you for the donation.

The AC clutch relay is activated by a ground circuit in the Engine Control Module and you might have a fault with the ECM for this circuit causing the compressor to cut off at high speeds.

The ground circuit is at ECM connector A terminal # 17. ECMs are known to fial for this circuit intermittently.

tegyy96

May, 12, 2010 AT 9:16 PM

I have all aready replaced my ECU once about 2 days ago and was getting the same problem. Now what I have figured out after long day of work is that when I disconect my speed sensor my AC seems to work fine at any speed. But as soon as I connect it it does same problem. Now I dont know if it will fix anything even if I buy a new Speed Sensor cause logically I cannnot imagine how that is tied with my AC problem?

May, 16, 2010 AT 8:02 AM

Sorry for the delay in replying. Had some trouble with connections and could not log in or had very slow connections for past few days.

You are correct. I could not link the VSS to the AC operations and there are no direct relationship between them. The only thing in common would be the ground circuit connection.

Try checking/testing the PCM and VSS ground circuit, located on thermostat housing.

tegyy96

May, 17, 2010 AT 2:58 PM

Ok I will try that out thanks. This is very helpfull I can at least do something about my problem, to were I didnt even know were to start. I'll keep you posted thanks.

Rick1469

May, 25, 2012 AT 12:09 AM

I have the same problem. What are the PCM and VSS ground circuits and how do I check them?

rivermikerat

July, 28, 2012 AT 6:11 PM

Rick, here you go.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Honda Civic
Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement