3.2 TYPE-S ELECTRICAL PROBLEM?

2001 Acura CL

jackandjill

August, 27, 2009 AT 1:48 AM

2001 Acura CL 6 cyl Automatic 106000 miles

For the past week or so I have been having a problem with blowing out fuse #13 on the passenger side (back up, clock, interior lights). Every time the fuse (15a) is replaced, it blows out when the remote key is used. Do you have any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

*When the fuse is blown the dashboard lights don't work, the clock is gone, the headlights only work if the car is turned on, and the power locks from inside the car don't work unless the car is turned on as well.

August, 27, 2009 AT 11:53 AM

Hi jackandjill,

Does the fuse blow if the remote is not used?
What about turning on the lights?
Did anything happend prior to this happeing? Bulb change, impact damages etc?

The fuse is the power supply for
Climate control unit,
Clock
Door multiplex control unit
Driver's multiplex control unit.
DPMS switch.
ECM ( M/T)
Gauge Assy
Keyless receiver unit
Passenger multiplex control unit.
PCM (VBU)
Radiator fan conterol module
Securrity indicator
Taillight relay.

Any of the above sircuit could be shorted causing the problem and since it blows only when remote is used, the keyless receiver unit couls be the main culprit.

jackandjill

August, 27, 2009 AT 12:47 PM

Hi KHLow2008,

I did a test and it is positive that when you turn on the lights, fuse#13 blows up again. There is some wiring left on the car from previous owner. Its an audio system. I am suspecting that it could be a possible ground that is causing the short. Do you have any input on these? The bulb is also an after market but it was installed long time ago. There is no impact changes. The car is not having electrical problems from 88k-106k miles. I just have this problem recently. The car has 106,000 miles on it.

Any input will help. Thanks.

August, 27, 2009 AT 12:58 PM

So we have narrowed the problem to the lights circuit.

Check all bulbs for proper seating and shortings, unplug them and retest, just the taillights and front clearance lights. The headlights are not involved in this circuit.

Look out for bare wires, could be due to abrasion causing wires to be exposed and shorting to body.

If you had replaced any bulbs, check them for proper seating and if they are of the correct type.

jackandjill

August, 27, 2009 AT 1:15 PM

I will check the wirings for the lights later for sure.

Since the keyless remote unit and tail light relay is in the same fuse, is it possible that if either one of them is used, it will cause a short and blow the fuse off?

August, 27, 2009 AT 1:33 PM

The lighting circuit would be the most likely cause. When the remote is used, the lights would flash indicating arming and disarming. This operates the lights as if they are being turned ON snd the fuse would blow if there is a shorting in the circuit.

jackandjill

August, 27, 2009 AT 2:39 PM

Thanks man. I will do it later and I will reply to this forum and tell you what happened. Thanks. You are the best.

August, 28, 2009 AT 8:36 AM

You are welcomed and hope it is an easy to solve problem.

jackandjill

August, 28, 2009 AT 10:01 AM

Do you know how I can check for short in the tailight and signal lights? I dont know where to look. Thanks. I appreciate it.

August, 28, 2009 AT 10:47 AM

First thing is to unplug all the bulbs and turn lights on. If fuse blows, it is caused by wire shorting to body. This would take some luck and skill to get to the problem.

Check all light bulb socket terminals. For push in type of bulbs (front clearance lamps) the terminals in the socket might become loose and get entangled with each other to cause shorting.

For wire, look out for abrasion to wires near areas moving parts. Check for wires that are clamped by other components.

Thugoutii

April, 14, 2012 AT 12:33 PM

I have same problem with my Acura 2001 cl 3.2 ( not an SType) 9a fuse keeps blowing! Dash board goes not, can't read the gauses! What was the solution to this problem?

Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Dynamat Door Installation