EGR VAVLE

1999 Acura CL

rmoery

June, 18, 2010 AT 6:51 AM

1999 Acura CL 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 162000 miles

I replaced my EGR valve about 12 months ago per the check engine light code. However, I did not do it timely. The check engine light had been on for several months. My problem is even with a new EGR valve the check engine light continues to come on. I take it in and they clean it but it comes back on within a day or two. The mechanic says the valve is operating properly but something is wrong. Could carbon continue to build up for months after replacement? I need help!

Thank you.

Egr Valve

legitimate007

June, 18, 2010 AT 9:22 AM

Yes, the problem is most likely a build up of carbon, in the tube, the vacuum hose or definitely in the intake manifold where the egr hose connects at. It will have to come off to be cleaned, or you may be able to do a top engine cleaning with some sea foam, but have some one do it that knows how, you may even need a couple bottles. Because its gonna be gunked up.

rmoery

June, 18, 2010 AT 11:00 AM

jeremiah

June, 20, 2010 AT 2:06 AM

The passage from the egr valve to the intake manifold is clogged with carbon. You will have to remove the intake manifold and open the passage, usually with a drill and 10mm bit. It's at the underside and start of the manifold. Careful not to drill through the other end of the manilfold.

legitimate007

June, 20, 2010 AT 8:36 AM

Yes, thanx for backing me up