A/C work

JAYSINBAKO
  • 1995 OLDSMOBILE 442
I am replacing the A/C compressor on my Cutlass Ciera V6. I plan on putting a vacuum on the system after I install the new parts. My question is, will I need to replace the Pag oil that is already in my new compressor after I run the vacuum or will it stay in the unit and only need r134a once the vacuum is complete?
Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 AT 12:37 PM

The oil is added before you install the compressor because you may need to hold it a certain way so the fill plug or port is up. Many compressors come with the correct amount of oil already in them. Look for a tag that tells you if you need to add the oil yourself.

Be sure to pull the vacuum for at least a half hour, and even longer if the lines or new compressor were not sealed for more than a few hours.
+1
Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 AT 1:59 PM
JAYSINBAKO
Thank you a ton. I have done plenty of mechanic work but this is my first dive into the A/C system. I appreciate the knowledge and quick response.
Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 AT 2:03 PM
You are welcome. I have a lot of people fooled with my "brilliance".

I will be out of town over the weekend at an old car show swap meet, but keep me informed of your progress.
+1
Wednesday, April 26th, 2017 AT 3:52 PM
JAYSINBAKO
Final follow up. I've swapped everything over including accumulator and new compressor. Had it vacuumed and filled. Still didn't kick on. A little more research led me to the high pressure switch. That seemed to be the final piece to the puzzle which is a relief considering we can hit upwards of 110 during the summer here.
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 2:18 PM
I assume it's working now? If so, give yourself a pat on the back!
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 3:27 PM