A/C clutch replacement instructions please?

JACKBURKHART
  • 2006 FORD F-150
R-134 F guava says it’s okay. I looked at clutch and it was not moving when AC is on. I tapped it and started turning and started to cool. Does this mean the clutch is bad?
Friday, June 28th, 2019 AT 7:14 PM

BMDOUBLE
This is not the recommended diagnostic procedure, but in the real world that is one way to verify that yes the clutch is bad! You are spot on sir!
Friday, June 28th, 2019 AT 7:40 PM
JACKBURKHART
Thank you BmDouble.
Is it possible the change the clutch without removing the compressor?
It is a very tight area and I am not sure if I can even get to it. Any suggestions?
Friday, June 28th, 2019 AT 8:00 PM
BMDOUBLE
From what I remember on the 2006 F-150's, you should be able to get to it from underneath. Just lay on a creeper and you can see it from behind the bottom of the shroud. It s tight but it can be done my friend!
Friday, June 28th, 2019 AT 8:24 PM
JACKBURKHART
Okay thanks. Is the a special tool I need to take it off and would you know if it is readily available? I have seen some on amazon and are there shims I must keep and maintain a gap? I have been watching some YouTube.
Friday, June 28th, 2019 AT 10:01 PM
DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Just to add my two cents. I've attached air gap specification below as a picture. A/C clutch removal/install tools are available at any local auto parts store in their tool loaner program for rent. Hope this helps and thanks again for using 2CarPros.
Danny
Sunday, June 30th, 2019 AT 8:24 PM
JACKBURKHART
Thank you.

I have called several auto parts places the average price for A/C clutch is $100.00. I found them on Amazon for $35.00.
Just have to wait on shipping. They are Motor Craft parts also
Any suggestion's?
Tuesday, July 2nd, 2019 AT 8:53 AM
KEN
Yes use the Motor Craft unit. Please let us know what you find.
Thursday, July 4th, 2019 AT 4:10 PM
CAPISTRAN
  • 1998 FORD F-150
I have a ford f150 4.6 the a/c compressor is making a noise looks like the clutch is loose. Do I have to replace the whole compressor or can I just change the clutch
Monday, April 19th, 2021 AT 3:05 PM (Merged)
DAVE H
CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
Removal
Discharge A/C system, using approved refrigerant recovery/recycling equipment. Remove compressor. Using a spanner wrench or clutch holder, remove clutch plate bolt. Discard bolt. Thread an 8-mm bolt into clutch plate, and remove clutch plate and shims.
Remove pulley outside snap ring. Remove pulley assembly. See Fig. 1 . Disconnect clutch coil lead. Install Shaft Protector (T89P-19623-FH) over compressor shaft. Install 2-jaw puller on compressor. Carefully tighten puller to remove clutch coil from compressor. DO NOT use air-powered tools when removing clutch coil.
Installation
Ensure clutch coil mounting surface is clean. Install clutch coil. Ensure electrical connection is correctly positioned. Position Coil Replacer (T91L-19623-CH) onto coil and Coil Pressing Adapter (T89P-19623-EH) onto coil replacer.
Install 2-jaw puller on compressor and coil replacer. Engage jaws on puller with compressor front mounts. Carefully tighten puller until clutch coil bottoms completely against compressor. DO NOT use air-powered tools when installing clutch coil.
Carefully install pulley assembly onto compressor, ensuring that it is properly aligned. Install pulley assembly snap ring with beveled side out. Install shim(s) and clutch plate. Install NEW clutch plate bolt, and tighten it to 98-123 INCH lbs. (11-14 N.m).
Using a feeler gauge, measure air gap between clutch plate and pulley assembly mating surfaces in 3 places. Air gap should be 0.014-0.033" (0.36-0.84 mm). If air gap is not as specified, add or remove shims as necessary.
Fig. 1: Exploded View Of Compressor Clutch Assembly (Typical)
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/266999_clu_1.jpg

LAFONDMAN
  • 1994 FORD F-150
My mechanic says I need a new compressor clutch can you help please?
It sounds like you do it all right. The only things I can think of is if the drum isn't fully seated (which is hard to believe), one of the brake springs was attached in the wrong spot and not keeping enough tension on the shoes, or one of the hold down springs has come apart. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Sponsored links