AC NOISES

2002 Chevrolet Cavalier

cristy1233

May, 2, 2013 AT 2:31 PM

When AC is on and I accelerate there is a noise that sounds like a jet engine coming from the ac. The ac still gets cool and its only when I press on the gas. I was told from my father that it could be the compressor but I hope there isnt more damage done to it. How can you tell if there is A LOT of damage done to the compressor?

caradiodoc

May, 2, 2013 AT 4:11 PM

Use a stethoscope to listen to the compressor while the engine is running and it's engaged. Also listen to the the radiator fan. Yours may have a separate AC condenser fan that is noisy. They typically only turn on when the compressor cycles on.

If the source of the noise is not obvious, there is a tool you might be able to borrow or rent from an auto parts store that borrows them called the "Chassis Ear". It is a set of six microphones, a switch box, and headphones. You clip the microphones to suspect points, then drive around while listening with the headphones. You can move the microphones around to zero in on the source of the noise. Be aware that many mechanics have never seen or even heard of this tool. Suspension and alignment mechanics use it to find rattles, squeaks, and other noises.

Blend Door Actuator Replacement
Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro