Oil light and battery light comes on

ANAFOZIE
  • 1997 HONDA ACCORD
Hi all,

I am in dire need of your help I bought a the car listed above with a v6 vetch. I went to get a oil change and I was told I had a leak in two places one by the transmission and one by the oil pan. I took it to a shop where they fixed the leaks by replacing the transmission gasket. Everything was running fine until I made a trip back to Sacramento and the oil light kept coming on. But the oil levels are fine both in the engine oil and the transmission oil. When I drove my car back from home today, I pressed on the gas and the car hesitated before it moved and the check engine light came on for a second and my car barely starts now with a funny smell to it. My battery light keeps coming on as well, I had my alternator and battery tested and the test came out fine. Would anyone please give me some insight on what may need to get fixed? I also found out I have a short in my car as well, my motor to my seat had burned out.
Wednesday, December 7th, 2016 AT 9:35 PM

There's too may things that require a visual inspection, but I can offer some suggestions for the "Battery" light. When it turns off periodically, there is not a permanent failure, ... Yet, and it can go like that for weeks or months, but what is important is any testing of the charging system must be done while the problem is occurring, meaning while the warning light is on. When the light goes off, there is no defect at that time, so no problem will be found.

The most common cause of intermittent charging system operation is worn brushes inside the generator, especially at the mileage you listed. There can be intermittent wiring connections too, but those are much less common.

As for the "Oil" light, that is referring to low engine oil pressure, not level. Your mechanic can use a mechanical gauge to check the actual pressure. If that is good, the oil pressure sending unit, (sensor) is the typical suspect.
Friday, December 9th, 2016 AT 8:54 PM
ANAFOZIE
Thank you for your response. My car will not turn over now. Before my car stalled all the accessories stopped working ie lights, the speedometer, rpms. Erc The battery is dead. I had my battery and alternator tested before this happened. I was told my alternator was ok. My battery test good. I am wondering if it is the wiring connection. In my first post I had mentioned the seat motor not turning on, when I tried to put in a new fuse, the kept burning out. I had a new starter put in prior to fixing the oil leaks. If I do have a electric problem where can I take it to get it fix?
Thursday, December 15th, 2016 AT 7:14 AM
I can only offer two suggestions for the electrical problem. You said the battery is dead. That is proof the charging system stopped recharging the battery, and that tells me it is almost a certainty the system was tested while it was working. As I mentioned in my first reply, you have to catch it while the problem is occurring. During those times it is working, there's nothing wrong, so everything is going to test okay.

Use an inexpensive digital voltmeter to measure the battery voltage. If the battery is good and fully-charged, it will be 12.6 volts. If you find it's closer to 12.2 volts, it is good but discharged. Charge it with a portable charger for an hour, at a slow rate, then try to start the engine. If the engine starts, measure the battery voltage again with the engine running. It must be between 13.75 and 14.75 volts.

If everything is dead and the battery is fully-charged, follow the smaller positive battery wire to the under-hood fuse box. Be sure that connection is clean and tight. Follow the smaller negative battery wire to the body sheet metal and be sure that connection is not rusty.
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 1:32 PM
ANAFOZIE
Thank you again for this information and Wisconsin, whew quite a ways! Haha. Ok so I found out that I have a bad battery. I had Autozone charge and test my battery. I will try these methods out and post a update. I appericate your time.
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 6:29 PM
Don't panic if you don't hear from me for two days. I have to drive ten miles to town to sit in parking lots and use their wireless internet. It's snowing a pile tonight and I might not get out tomorrow.

Would you mind keeping the doors to your house open so it gets warmer outside!
Friday, December 16th, 2016 AT 6:48 PM
ANAFOZIE
Its was the alternator bad I replaced it again and everything worked.
Monday, January 29th, 2018 AT 6:21 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Monday, January 29th, 2018 AT 7:32 PM