WILL GASOLINE BE STABLE IN A PLUG-IN HYBRID

• Nicomasing
  • 2013 TOYOTA PRIUS

We are beginning to think about replacing our two aging, but reliable Subarus (both with over 170 K) in large part due increasing fuel prices. To that end, we are thinking of buying plug-in hybrids (e.G. Toyota Prius - wife; Ford C-Max Energi - myself).

Given the potential that we will not be driving long distances on a daily basis and there will be the opportunity to plug in the cars at our work sites will the quality of the gasoline in the tank deteriorate over time and will we need to add stabilizers, etc. To help extedn its life?

Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 9:32 PM

• Fixitmr

Sounds like a good idea. Wait till you experience them to see if that is necessary. Just adding some new fuel can benefit/extend to.

Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 9:37 PM
  • Nicomasing

Thank you. I'm sure that the manufacturers have thought about this. Perhaps the tank design in these vehicles (have no idea) is more of a closed system reducing the potential for changes in the quality of the fuel.

Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 9:45 PM
  • Fixitmr

You could go shopping and ask to see owners manual or get one from online and see if they have expected this problem?

Saturday, May 26th, 2012 AT 9:55 PM