2013 Mazda Other CX9 gas/foul smell

JAVIERR
  • 2013 MAZDA
First owner of car, only 15,000 miles.
Drove in late mid-June 2013 from Portland (OR) to Yosemite (CA). During the first 8 days of the roas trip no problem going up and down the mountains (highest at 7,000 feet).
On day 9 driving leaving Reno (NV) on the steep highway a strong fresh gasoline smell start coming into the car. Not sure if through the vents or from the outside since windows were rolled-down (too hot outside). We were not using the A/C.
The fresh gasoline odor persisted during a couple of miles. Stopped to check. Open the hood and the smell was coming from the front somewhere in there.
The smell became intermittent but slowly changed from fresh gasoline to just really bad smell. Also its intensity decreased but was still very noticeable. Made it to Portland (OR) alive. Dealer has not checked it yet but already claimed over th ephone it is normal. I do not understand how such a strong smell of fresh gasoline and hours of lingering foul smell can be normal. I am 51 years old and have been driving for many years around high and low country on very long road trips. No car ever did this to me. Even went to the Canadian Rockies! That is as high or more than Yosemite or Reno! Therefore, how can such a discomfort and toxic exposure be normal?
Please enlight me.

Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 6:20 PM

CADIEMAN
The car needs to be checked! TAKE IT TO THE DEALER IT IS NOT NORMAL.
Monday, June 24th, 2013 AT 7:21 PM
JAVIERR
Hello, Thank you for your reply. Just came back from the dealer. As usual, they found nothing. However, I drove it with one of the mechanics and the bad smell I mentioned in my previous e-mail came-up. I stopped the car, left the engine running and he inspected it. He went down to smell the exhaust and the foul smell is coming from the exhaust. The dealer s explanation is a bad grade gasoline I filled-up with at an ARCO station in Reno.
Apparently Mazda is aware of the foul smell happening and it has a bulletin out called "Sulfur Smell From Exhaust System" that applies to Mazda -2, Mazda-5, CX-7 and CX-9. Mazda's recommendation is to change the brand of fuel and to drive the vehicle for 100 miles. That should decrease the sulfur smell. Mazda also recommends to avoid short trips and aggressive acceleration. All three recommendations sound to me like "the car is bad". The car can only use expensive gas, the car should be preferably used on highway (which we were doing when the problem started), and if a bear (or out of control vehicle) is running behind you do not accelerate too quickly to avoid the smell. All sounds pretty bad to me: use your car only for display, the smell will go away !
OK, change the brand of gas: we refueled at Shell in Southern Oregon after using the ARCO gas down to the empty and drove about 150 miles. The skunk smell is still intermittent as noticed this morning by the mechanic.
OK, avoid driving short distance (do not use your car, use your bicycle): the problem started on highway and remained on highway for 12 hours, and continues in city.
OK, do not accelerate all of the sudden: no bears yet or road hazards have forced us yet to do so.

Finally I used my car last night for a 1.5 mile drive. Left it in the garage overnight as usual. At 2 AM went to the bathroom and the foul smell was inside the house.

I almost went to the DEQ station with the secret hope to have my car impounded for hazardous emissions and therefore, force Mazda to react. However, I will try once more to let the gas go to empty and refuel again with the Top Tier gasoline and see what happens.

Would you have any other ideas?
Tuesday, June 25th, 2013 AT 12:33 PM
CADIEMAN
U OK
Wednesday, December 17th, 2014 AT 7:19 AM