I JUST BOUGHT A 2012 TOYOTA SEQUOIA IT NOW HAS ...

2012 Toyota Sequoia

mlpettee

March, 8, 2013 AT 1:22 PM

I just bought a 2012 Toyota Sequoia - it now has approx 1000 miles on it. There is a noticeable harmonic droning vibration at certain speeds (60mph for example) that can be felt through the floor boards, steering wheel, gas pedal The techs at the dealer said it is TCC problem. The Torque conversion converter is trying to go into lockup mode but the computer can't decide to lock it up or not at that speed causing it to go in and out rapidly which causes the shuddering or vibration. If I slow down or speed up the vibration goes away. The techs say this is normal and it may smooth out as the computer "learns" my driving. "It is an electrical issue not mechanical". I had a 2008 sequoia previous to the 2012 sequoia and never noticed this vibration. Is this a "normal" condition, I'm concerned that it will cause mechanical problems with the tcc over time? It's disappointing that an expensive car such as this has this vibration. Thank you

hmac300

March, 8, 2013 AT 3:15 PM

It may smooth out as it does need to learn what to do. Maybe this had a sensor or computer reprogrammed prior to you getting it. If it doesn't straighten out in a short while then they shold be able to put a lower speed tcc switch in it or reprogram the computer to put the tcc on sooner.

mlpettee

March, 8, 2013 AT 10:16 PM

Thanks for the input. As I have been driving the car I'm noticing that the vibration is happening at idle as well. When I'm in drive at a stop sign or a drive-though and the brakes applied, the droning vibration revs up until I let off the brake and move forward or put it in park. So now not sure if a TCC problem or not?

hmac300

March, 8, 2013 AT 10:39 PM

Spray water on the fan belt if the vibration goes away it may be the tensioner that is causing this or a belt problem. You shold really complain to the service dept to have this fixed especially if it's under warranty we don't have alot of info on this yet. It could be an engine problem like a balancer rubber broke as well. Or some typ eof timing chaitn/belt tensioner.

mlpettee

March, 8, 2013 AT 10:51 PM

Thanks, I'm taking it to the dealer next week - had to wait out the new england weather!

garthsequoia

November, 18, 2014 AT 8:40 PM

I just bought a 2014 Sequoia and I've noticed the same issue. Did you get this resolved or are you just living with it?

garthsequoia

November, 20, 2014 AT 9:16 AM

Anybody out there who can help with this questions? I really need to figure out what to do with this vibration.

hmac300

November, 20, 2014 AT 12:04 PM

Garth it may be a normal problem have the dealer look at it as it's new and we don't have a lot of info on these yet