ENGINE IS MAKING A TICKING NOISE WHEN COLD

• gortgreine
  • 2012 Kia Rio

My new kia Rio EX 1.4 Something is making an annoying ticking noise from engine when I start from cold and goes away when engine is heated up. Is this normal noise for Kia Rio 2012

Saturday, October 27th, 2012 AT 3:25 AM

• KHLow2008

Abnormal noises should not be normal for any vehicle. Being a new vehicle, bring it to the attention of the dealer.

The noise is most probably from the valve lifters.

Saturday, October 27th, 2012 AT 7:45 PM
  • gortgreine

Hi, thank you for your advice, I also think it is the lifters or timing chain tension er. Going into dealers again tomorrow for the second time. Hope they dont say its normal for them cars.
Will post update:

Monday, October 29th, 2012 AT 6:49 AM
  • KHLow2008

You're welcome. Good luck

Monday, October 29th, 2012 AT 12:45 PM
  • gortgreine

Had my motor in for three days, don't know what is wrong with it, (which is rubbish) So now I have to go down the line of contacting kia with all doc, to see what happens, what a fantastic warranty

Friday, November 2nd, 2012 AT 9:28 PM
  • KHLow2008

Intermittent noise problems are at times difficult to diagnose and if it is a technical problem, most probably their technical service department should have the necessary information to resolve the problem.

Too bad you have to go through this after buying a new car.

Friday, November 2nd, 2012 AT 9:33 PM
  • gortgreine

Letter from the dealers about annoying ticking noise:
We at Cockram Kia have inspected your Kia Rio for the ticking noise after cold engine start up and after testing several similar Kia vehicles of the same model variant find that this is a characteristic within this model variant rather than a individual vehicle fault.

We are satisfied that no mechanical fault exists with your Kia vehicle and we consider the condition complained of as a characteristic of the model variant.

Your vehicle is covered by a 5 year/ 100km warranty and we will stand by the product should any engine failure occur [provided all maintenance requirements have been completed as outline by the manufacture].

Any problems please feel free to contact me

Thursday, November 8th, 2012 AT 7:53 PM
  • KHLow2008

Now that they have given you a written acknowledgement of the problem, apart from the discomfort/annoyance, there is nothing you need to worry about.

If anything goes wrong, you have something to fall back on.

Happy motoring.

Thursday, November 8th, 2012 AT 9:40 PM