ENGINE IS MAKING A TICKING NOISE WHEN COLD

2012 Kia Rio

gortgreine

October, 27, 2012 AT 3:25 AM

My new kia Rio EX 1.4 Something is making an annoying ticking noise from engine when I start from cold and goes away when engine is heated up. Is this normal noise for Kia Rio 2012

October, 27, 2012 AT 7:45 PM

Abnormal noises should not be normal for any vehicle. Being a new vehicle, bring it to the attention of the dealer.

The noise is most probably from the valve lifters.

gortgreine

October, 29, 2012 AT 6:49 AM

Hi, thank you for your advice, I also think it is the lifters or timing chain tension er. Going into dealers again tomorrow for the second time. Hope they dont say its normal for them cars.
Will post update:

October, 29, 2012 AT 12:45 PM

You're welcome. Good luck

gortgreine

November, 2, 2012 AT 9:28 PM

Had my motor in for three days, don't know what is wrong with it, (which is rubbish) So now I have to go down the line of contacting kia with all doc, to see what happens, what a fantastic warranty

November, 2, 2012 AT 9:33 PM

Intermittent noise problems are at times difficult to diagnose and if it is a technical problem, most probably their technical service department should have the necessary information to resolve the problem.

Too bad you have to go through this after buying a new car.

gortgreine

November, 8, 2012 AT 7:53 PM

Letter from the dealers about annoying ticking noise: We at Cockram Kia have inspected your Kia Rio for the ticking noise after cold engine start up and after testing several similar Kia vehicles of the same model variant find that this is a characteristic within this model variant rather than a individual vehicle fault.

We are satisfied that no mechanical fault exists with your Kia vehicle and we consider the condition complained of as a characteristic of the model variant.

Your vehicle is covered by a 5 year/ 100km warranty and we will stand by the product should any engine failure occur [provided all maintenance requirements have been completed as outline by the manufacture].

Any problems please feel free to contact me

November, 8, 2012 AT 9:40 PM

Now that they have given you a written acknowledgement of the problem, apart from the discomfort/annoyance, there is nothing you need to worry about.

If anything goes wrong, you have something to fall back on.

Happy motoring.

Oil Change & Filter Replacement Ford Escape
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Kia Rio
Brake Pad & Rotor Replacement Acura TL
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Engine Oil Change and Filter Scion xD