Thermostat Replacement

SKYLARGRANT
  • 2012 DODGE RAM
I've got an engine code reading for my coolant thermostat, I asked my local dealership and they said in most situations like that you need to change your coolant thermostat, so I was just wondering how I would go about changing the coolant thermostat out

thanks
Friday, November 20th, 2015 AT 1:00 AM

Here is a guide that will walk you through the steps if changing the thermostat and coolant with instructions below to show you how on your truck.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-thermostat

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
-1
Friday, November 20th, 2015 AT 7:23 AM
CABOTMAN
  • 2001 DODGE RAM
Can someone please tell me where the thermostat is located on the engine?
Monday, December 21st, 2020 AT 9:44 AM (Merged)
Hi:
Follow the upper radiator from the radiator toward the engine. Where it ends at the engine it will be attached to the thermostat housing. The t-stat is under the housing.

SUZ5886
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
Where is the thermostat located on this truck?
KEN
Here is a guide to help you step by step with instructions in the diagrams below to show you how on your car:

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
HAJVERT
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
I just had my truck repaired at pep boys. They put in a 160f thermostat. The temp is low now. Before it was alittle below 210*. They said that according to their "book" it calls for a low temp thermostat. (160*) What is the proper temp of thermostat for my 1998 ram 1500 v6 231? Which is better? 160* or 195* Temp. In time will a low temp hurt the engine? I live in the south. A heater is not used very much. But I do visit the Chicago area in the winter time. I went on line and found out that the thermostat temp was changed ( low temp) due to even heating of the clyinder walls and breaking down of the oil. I always use Mobil 1 and a quart of lukas synthetic oil. Every other oil change I use a 5 minute cleaner. I m in stop and go traffic, and change oil after 3000-4500 miles. With new filter. Pep boys put in a new water pump also.
Monday, December 21st, 2020 AT 9:45 AM (Merged)
2CEXPT
Hi hajvert and welcome to 2carpros

My reference Mit1 says if its DOHC it takes the 195deg -SOHC takes the 180deg-If it was me I'll take the 195deg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_stat_1.jpg

CODY_BLOOM
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
When the truck is at running temperature the heat in the truck comes out warm and it has a new thermostat in it what would be some other problems
ROWTIEAR
Sounds like a plugged up heater core to me.
Try removing the heater hoses from the core, connect a garden hose to one end and run flush it one way then reverse flush it the other way. ( 2 or 3 minutes each way should do) Reconnect the hoses and try it again.
MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

If engine temp is normal, and heater is not warming up, check that the heater tap is opening fully, and that the core is not blocked, (remove hoses and flush with low pressure garden hose) Also check that the in side / out side air vent is set to inside and is actually closed.

SWINDLEL
  • 1996 DODGE RAM
Can anyone tell me where it is?
RAJEOFLYFE
Oi mate. On most cars, the thermostat is easily found by following the top hose coming from the radiator. Your thermostat should be at the end of this hose. Hope this helps!
TJVELEZ
  • 1995 DODGE RAM
Engine Cooling problem
1995 Dodge Ram V8 Automatic 133000 miles

i replaced my water pump and since then my temperature gauge has been fluxuating from 195 to 225 degrees and bak to 195 and so forth. I replaced the thermostat as well as the thermostat sensor and radiator cap and checked for air in the hoses. I also checked for my head gasket being blown and that is not the case. Could I have put the water pump on wrong/or am I missing something that im not seeing?Thanks tim
Hi:
Don't worry. You didn't put it on wrong. It can only be mounted in one way. Don't laugh but I have to ask. Are you sure the coolant level is full in the radiator? Also, is the belt that runs the pump tight and in good condition? Finally, could the sending unit be bad?

MICHAELSINCLAIR09
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
I ham trying to chang a thermostat on a 2005, ram 1500 SLT, 5.7 hemi, automatic, however I do not know where the thermostat is located. Can you please tell me where it is located, or tell me a website with picture so I can see. Thank you for your time!
Tuesday, December 22nd, 2020 AT 8:13 AM (Merged)
2CEXPT
Your thermostat is located in the housing where your upper radiator hose connects to the engine.
+5
OLGALEPCC
  • 2005 DODGE RAM
Where is the thermostat?
TEAG
You should be able to find it by following the top radiator hose back towards the engine. The thermostat is located inside the housing at the end of the hose.
+1
GREGMOORE
  • 2002 DODGE RAM
Where is the thermostat located on my dodge truck, and is it easy to change?
RICHZOMBIE

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/307763_Noname_24.jpg

Removal & Installation

CAUTION
Do not loosen the radiator draincock with the system hot and pressurized. serious burns from the coolant can occur.

Do not waste reusable coolant. If the solution is clean, drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.

1.Disconnect the battery negative cables.
2.Drain cooling system until coolant level is below thermostat

WARNING
Constant tension hose clamps are used on most cooling system hoses. When removing or installing, use only tools designed for servicing this type of clamp, such as special clamp tool (number 6094).

WARNING
A number or letter is stamped into the tongue of constant tension clamps. If replacement is necessary, use only an original equipment clamp with a matching number or letter.

3.Remove radiator hose clamp and hose from thermostat housing (1).
4.Remove the three water outlet-to-cylinder head bolts and remove the water outlet connector .
5.Clean the mating surfaces of the water outlet connector and clean the thermostat seat groove at the top of the thermostat housing .

Fig. Exploded view of the thermostat housing (1), cylinder head (2) and thermostat (3)-5.9L diesel engine

To install:

1.Inspect thermostat seal for cuts or nicks. Replace if damaged.
2.Install the thermostat into the groove in the top of the cylinder head (2).
3.Install the thermostat housing (1) and bolts. Tighten the bolts to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
4.Install the radiator upper hose and clamp.
5.Fill the cooling system with coolant.
6.Connect the battery negative cables.
7.Start the engine and check for coolant leaks. Run engine to check for proper thermostat operation.

Sponsored links