2012 Chevrolet Malibu Radiator Issues

LINKUP99
  • 2012 CHEVROLET MALIBU
This car has only 56k miles on it. We purchased it as a Salvage vehicle. The original Radiator had to be replaced about six months ago. The replacement (2nd) radiator lasted about one week and started leaking. So the parts dealer sent a replacement radiator (3rd). Now it has sprung a leak as well. So now it needs a (4th) Radiator. What the heck do you think is going on here? Just a string of real bad luck? Or, is something else in the car causing these radiators to fail?
Sunday, December 28th, 2014 AT 4:34 AM

CADIEMAN
DO U HEAR ANY BANGING NOISE COMING THE RADIATOR? U WILL NEED TO DO A COMPRESSION LEAK DOWN TEST. TO SEE IF COMPRESSION IS LEAKING INTO COOLANT SYS. U MAY WANT TO BUY A HYDOCARBONS TEST KIT. IT SNIFFS THE COOLANT AND TELL U WEATHER U HAVE A LEAK OR NOT
Sunday, December 28th, 2014 AT 6:35 AM
LINKUP99
No, I don't hear any banging noise.
Sunday, December 28th, 2014 AT 1:41 PM
CADIEMAN
JUST BUY A BETTER QUALITY PART U WILL BE FINE.
Sunday, December 28th, 2014 AT 2:20 PM
LINKUP99
Normally my mechanic does buy high quality parts. This radiator included a transmission cooler with a cost of $194.
Sunday, December 28th, 2014 AT 4:11 PM
CADIEMAN
That should be fine. I think you were having just bad luck. Thank god for warrantys !
Sunday, December 28th, 2014 AT 5:03 PM
LINKUP99
Does it do any damage in the long run if a non recommended Coolant-Antifreeze is used in the Radiator? The manual seems to specify one kind of coolant made for GM cars.
Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 AT 4:50 AM
CADIEMAN
NO ANYTHING IS FINE. IF U LIVE IN A WARM CLIMATE THAN IT IS 50//50 COOLANT AND WATER
Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 AT 5:27 AM
LINKUP99
Well, a new radiator has been installed for the third time in six months now. I notice after the car runs for a short distance that the temperature gauge needle moves up to the halfway point. I don't notice any leakage, or hissing noise and coolant level seems to be okay. What do you think is going on now?
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 3:41 AM
CADIEMAN
THIS IS NORMAL OPERATION AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT GO OVER 3/4 AT ANY TIME. GOOD LUCK I'LL BE HERE IF U NEEDED.
Tuesday, January 6th, 2015 AT 5:05 AM
LINKUP99
Yesterday she said the gauge went past the 3/4 mark close to the red. I told her to turn the car off wait five minutes then go back down the road. She said it then stayed around the 1/2 mark. Maybe the Temp Gauge is acting up? I popped the hood when she got home. I did not hear or see anything unusual. The coolant level in the tank was below the Cold level mark however.
Thursday, January 8th, 2015 AT 4:10 AM
CADIEMAN
LEAVE THE A/C OFF AND MAKE SURE THE FANS ARE WORKING. START THE CAR AND WATCH THE GAUGE WHEN IT'S OVER HALF WAY THE FANS SHOULD BE TURNING ON SOON.
Thursday, January 8th, 2015 AT 6:26 AM
LINKUP99
Pretty certain the Fans are working. When she pulled the car up to the house and turned the car off I could hear the Fans still circulating. But I will double check this afternoon. When I took my car to the shop yesterday I told the mechanic about my wifes radiator issue. He said that GM cars were known for instrument cluster problems. Have you heard that? I also will ask the guy that put the radiator in the last three times if he put a new thermostat in as well.
Thursday, January 8th, 2015 AT 10:25 AM
CADIEMAN
THEIR CLUSTERS HAVE THEIR PROBLEMS. BUT IN THIS CASE I THINK THE COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR CONTROLS THE GAUGE AND THE FAN RELAY FOR FAN OPER.
Thursday, January 8th, 2015 AT 10:52 AM