Front brake pad and rotor replacement instructions please?

ANONYMOUS
  • 2011 FORD TAURUS
I can hear the brake grinding, most of the time it stops normally. Dealership checked brakes and wants $450.00 can you help me save money please?
Thursday, March 28th, 2013 AT 7:45 PM

DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is the information you requested. Here is a guide to help you step by step with instructions in the diagrams below to show you how on your car:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-front-brake-pads-and-rotors-fwd

I've attached picture steps below on how to change the front brake pads and rotors on your car. Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Wednesday, March 31st, 2021 AT 10:26 PM
SFLUBBEN
  • 2007 FORD TAURUS
I have replaced front brakes and rotors on several cars in the past. 1997 Ford Contour, 2002 Ford Escape, and 2002 Ford Focus all had the calipers and pads on the back side of the rotor or wheeel. The 2007 Ford Taurus I have now has the caiper and pads on the front of the wheel assembly. Can you help me in what I need to do to remove the pads and caliper to replace?
Thursday, April 1st, 2021 AT 6:52 PM (Merged)
Hi,

Replacing front brake pads and rotors isn't too hard of a job. In general, you can expect the brakes to last about 25000 miles. It has become common to replace brake rotors every time pads are replaced. However, if you have no brake pulsation or shaking in the steering and the rotors are in good shape, they will likely last for another set of brake pads.

First, here is a link that shows in general how pads and rotors are replaced. You can use this as a guide.

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle for pads and rotors replacement.

FRONT
Brake Pads

Removal

1. WARNING: Use of any other than approved DOT 3 brake fluid will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative.

WARNING: Brake fluid contains polyglycol ethers and polyglycols. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. If brake fluid contacts eyes, flush eyes with running water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation persists. If taken internally, drink water and induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. Failure to follow these instructions may lead to personal injury.

CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, wash it with water immediately.

Check the brake fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
If required, remove brake fluid until the brake fluid reservoir is half full.
2. With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist. For additional information, refer to Maintenance/Service and Repair.

3. CAUTION: Do not pry in the brake caliper sight hole to retract the piston as this can damage the piston and boot.

CAUTION: Do not allow the brake caliper to hang from the brake hose. Damage to the brake hose can result. Support the caliper using mechanic's wire.

Remove the brake caliper bolts and support the caliper with mechanic's wire.

4. CAUTION: Install new brake pads if they are worn past the specified thickness above the metal backing plate. Install new brake pads in complete axle sets.

Inspect the pads for wear and contamination.
5. Measure the brake disc thickness and install a new front brake disc if it is not within specification.
6. Remove the brake pads.

Installation

1. CAUTION: Do not allow grease, oil, brake fluid or other contaminants to contact the pad lining material. Do not install contaminated pads.

NOTE: One brake disc pad kit contains the pads required for both sides.

Install the new brake pads.

2. NOTE: Use a suitable tool to protect pistons and boots when pushing the caliper pistons into the bores.

Compress the disc brake caliper pistons into the caliper piston bores.
3. Position the brake caliper and install the caliper bolts.
Tighten to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.).
4. Pump the brake pedal several times to position the brake linings.
5. Fill the brake fluid reservoir with clean brake fluid.
6. Test the brakes for normal operation.

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
ALEXSTANG87
  • 2006 FORD TAURUS
How can I perform a brake job?
Thursday, April 1st, 2021 AT 6:53 PM (Merged)
Hi,

Replacing front brakes isn't too hard to do. You can expect to get approximately 25,000 miles from a set of pads, but that is based on the driver.

First, here is a link that shows how to replace brakes and rotors in general. You can use this as a guide.

Here are the directions specific to your vehicle. The attached pics correlate with the directions.

Brake Pads

Removal

Disc Brake System - Exploded View

6. Remove the brake pads.

Installation

Install the new brake pads.

Tighten to 35 Nm (26 ft. lbs.).

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
TRWOODBURN
  • 2005 FORD TAURUS
I have tried to read a few posts, but they keep on drifting away from what my exact problems are so I am going to post a question of my own. I bought this car at 60k used from a private owner and the car is in great condition, but I noticed a few problems from the get go. I have driven it 10k miles now and no significant problems, but I would like to replace the front brakes to keep it in good shape.
KASEKENNY1
Here is a video and a guide that will show how to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1wWJLxCtc

Below is the process on how to replace the brakes from the manual. Let us know if you have other questions. Thanks
RUDY GONZALEZ
  • 2005 FORD TAURUS
Cleaned the sensors and noticed that the teeth on one side of the pads are worn out.
KASEKENNY1
Here is a guide that will help with replacing pads and rotors:

Plus here is a video of how to replace them on your vehicle:

Lastly below is the process from the manual on how to replace the brake pads. Let us know if you have other questions. Thanks
PROCAR
  • 1994 FORD TAURUS
How to remove & replace front brake rotors on 1994 Ford Taurus GL
Thursday, April 1st, 2021 AT 7:30 PM (Merged)
BMRFIXIT
FRONT BRAKE ROTOR
Jack and support the vehicle
Remove tire
Remove front brake caliper and pads.
If caliper does not require service, DO NOT remove brake hose from caliper.
Secure caliper aside.
Remove rotor from hub assembly.
If rotor is difficult to remove, spray rust penetrant on front and rear of rotor/hub mating surfaces.
Using a hammer, strike rotor between studs.
If rotor is still difficult to remove, use a 3-jawed puller. To install rotor, reverse removal procedure
JENNAYASDADDY
  • 1994 FORD TAURUS
Im fairly new to this whole automotive repair area, I don't think this should be hard to do. I have the brake pads, I have purchased a new set for all wheels, "front and back" can anyone give any instructions on how to change the brakes on a car, I have never done this before and dont have the Taurus Repair guide. Thanks in advanced!
Thursday, April 1st, 2021 AT 7:32 PM (Merged)
MASTERTECHTIM
For front brakes remove 2 bolts holding on caliper. Compress caliper piston and install new pads. Make sure you pump the brake pedal when your done. I hope this helps.
JENNAYASDADDY
How to do release the calibers compression?
I have figured out how to remove the pads but the calibers needs to be released, hwo do I do this?
MASTERTECHTIM
You can use a big pair of pliers or a c clamp
JENNAYASDADDY
I haave a clamp were trying to pressure it together, but it seems like the caliber isnt going back. It doesnt seems seized, its in pretty good condition.
Were working on the rear brakes.
MASTERTECHTIM
Stop! Rear calipers are screw in. You must push in anr turn clockwise. Sorry I thought you were doing fronts.
JENNAYASDADDY
So ive tried to push in and turn, it doesnt seem to easy to be pushed in. Prior to your advice, my brother thought maybe pressing the brake to see if that would have retracted it. It didnt. DO you think that is why I cant push and turn it back to normal?
MASTERTECHTIM
It is very tricky to do even for me. I have a special tool that applies pressure to piston while another one turns it in. But I have done it with regular hand tools. It takes patience, it goes in very slowly. Just keep pressure on it and keep turning.
JENNAYASDADDY
Thanks, that makes me feel alot better lol. I will have to give this a shot, do you suggest clamping the caliper and then with another wrench turning it clock wise?

Sponsored links