2010 Toyota Corolla oil filter cover removal

JAMESCHARLTON
  • 2010 TOYOTA COROLLA
I have the right tool but using a lot of torque, counter-clockwise the cover will not loosen, should I tap the ratchet with a hammer, I don't want to damage the plastic cover. Is this problem normal?
Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 AT 11:21 AM

KEN
Yes, this problem is very normal, the dealer has those oil filter caps stacked up. Tap it with a hammer to shock it, but not too hard, good luck :-)

Best, Ken
Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 AT 11:37 AM
WRENCHTECH
Be careful with that hammer on the plastic. The issue is the "O" ring getting dry and not lubricated and making it stick to the housing .Even if you get it to turn, it's not going to suddenly spin off by hand. It is going to turn hard unto the "O" ring clears the housing. Put some oil or silicone grease on the oil ring before going back in.
I recommend a socket with a long breaker bar. make sure you have the right socket. This socket should have slots in it.

https://www.2carpros.com/images/external/41PVRnPxNhL__86283.jpg
Sunday, May 3rd, 2015 AT 3:59 PM
JCALPE
  • 2009 TOYOTA COROLLA
2009 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 12000 miles

how to change the oil filter
Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 AT 10:36 AM (Merged)
MMPRINCE4000
Engine should be warm to very warm when changing oil.

Get filter and oil in advance, get some nitrile gloves and a drain container. Put container under pan, use a 6pt socket to remove pan bolt, drain oil, remove filter with a cup type filter wrench.
Coat rubber seal of filter with engine oil screw filter in by hand and tighted 1 turn by hand after seal contact.
After oil drains, install plug, do not overtighten.

It is best to fill the filter with oil before install, add oil to engine, start and let run for 2 minutes, check for leaks, check level and add to full mark. DO NOT OVERFILL.
-1
VSWORLD
  • 1995 TOYOTA COROLLA
1995 Toyota Corolla

im having a hard time getting a grip on oil filter for removal thiers no room to turn filter wrench. Any advice
KHLOW2008
Hi vsworld,

Thank you for the donation.

Space is scarce for most models nowadays and you would need the cap-on type of filter wrench for most vehicles. The chain or clamp ring type oil filter wrench is not applicable for this vehicle.