How can I remove the lid that is pictured without taking the whole console apart

JSHIMKUS
  • 2010 TOYOTA CAMRY
I had two credit cards fall or slip off of the small compartment lid in my center console. This issue involves the small compartment between the shifter and the large center console compartment that serves as an armrest. The cards fell into the area where the aft potion of the small lid travels into the back part of the small compartment. The cards are keeping the lid from opening any more than just a crack. I can open the lid just far enough to look in and back and I can see the top edge of the cards, but I cannot get to them. How can I remove that lid without taking the whole console apart, in order to get the cards out?
Wednesday, January 25th, 2012 AT 6:58 AM

JSHIMKUS
The cards are behind the rear wall of the compartment. 1. I cannot get the lid up far enough to get any of the implements that you recommended in there. 2. Even if I could, the cards hit the back edge of the lid as the lid is being held open. It seems like it would be easiest to remove the lid, if that is possible. In short I cannot open the lid very far. When I open the lid, the aft edge hits the top edge of the credit cards making it impossible to move them.

The picture shows the extent that the lid can be opened. The cards are lodged in the space opposite or to the right of where my hand is shown.

I think that the hinge release option might be the way to go. It is just hard to know where they are located because of the way the lid moves. The cards are vertical behind the "box" and right under the back edge of the lid, keeping them "pinned" in that location when attempting to open the lid. The only way to get them out is vertically, but that is impossible with the lid in place. Craziest thing. I will let you know how it works out. Thank you!
+1
Wednesday, January 25th, 2012 AT 9:12 AM
DANOCONNOR
I hope you get this. I had the same problem, read these reviews and went to work. None really helped, The solace between lid and front or back of console is way too tight for anything, except the credit card. What you want to do is lift up on the outer rim of the console, not the box but the rubber around the box. It pops up really easily and you will see everything. There is enough space to fit your fingers to remove the card. I just did it like half an hour ago and it took me less than two minutes. The rim easily snaps back into place afterwards. And I am definitely not mechanically inclined either.
+16
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 10:17 PM
RIVERMIKERAT
Thanks for your input Dan O'Connor. Much appreciated!
Tuesday, February 14th, 2012 AT 11:41 PM
ROSEMARY EMORY
Did you ever get this open? This happened to me with a gift card that slipped into the same place preventing it from opening. Please let me know if you found a way to get it open. Thanks.
-1
Monday, December 28th, 2015 AT 12:27 PM
CAMRY2010
DANOCONNOR was 100% correct. Simply pry up the molding around the box and the section from the arm rest to the gear shift area will simply pop out. If you lift the back end, you can see the cards, They will not slide out the side, but if you open the lid about half way, you can flip the cards back into the box. Took less than two minutes and one flat blade screw driver.
Tuesday, November 22nd, 2016 AT 5:12 PM