COOLING SYSTEM LOSING WATER

2010 Hyundai i30

Koala123

February, 3, 2012 AT 10:29 AM

Leaking water. No visible leakage. I can fill up the car to the "F" mark and drive to my destination(e.G. 40km), and check immediately after arriving, then the water-level is still the same. However around 2-3hours later when the car has cooled down, then the water level will drop. On average the water level will drop with around 6-7cm per day, but the last 2 cases the whole bottle became empty.

Hyundai checked the tubes and did 2 pressure tests, nothing is wrong. Replaced the radiator cap. Still do not know what is wrong.

The temperature meter has spiked once up to almost in the red, but not again. It's just below the half mark on average.

I do not use the aircon often(Perhaps 10min at a time, 3times a week). I do use the heater quite often, average temperature setting of 24-28degrees.

Wrenchtech

February, 3, 2012 AT 10:49 AM

You have a loss somewhere and unless it is the cap itself causing it, it will show up on a pressure test. It can be leaking internally into the combustion chamber and be burned out the exhaust via a blown head gasket but even that should show in a pressure test.

Koala123

February, 3, 2012 AT 11:14 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply. The pressure test has shown no errors. (Twice) Are there any other places I can check for leakage? Hyundai told me to monitor it again for two weeks and then they'll check further. But not sure what can be checked any further. Any signs I can look out for?

Wrenchtech

February, 3, 2012 AT 11:21 AM

They just didn't spend enough time pressure testing. Like I said, the pressure test will show anything other than the cap because that is where it attached. It's just a matter of how hard they look. Those guys get paid on flat rate and have no incentive to spend any extra time looking for a leak. You could also have a chemical test done to check for a blown head gasket.

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Radiator Hoses and Thermostat Replacement
Upper and Lower Radiator Hose Replacement
Radiator Hose Replacement - Upper - Chevrolet