Windshield wipers, air conditioning randomly going on and off

ASHLEY8806
  • 2010 DODGE AVENGER

We just bought this car 3 days ago. We had it checked by a mechanic and everything checked out good. Well it was raining the other night and we had the windshield wipers on. Later on they would not shut off with me turning the switch on and off, then eventually shut off on their own. Then yesterday I was driving it and they just came on out of nowhere, and would not shut off. After a few minutes they went off on their own. Then today we were driving it and the air conditioning just shut off out of nowhere. We shut all the knobs off, then waited about 5 minutes and turned it back on and it was fine. We are worried this is going to cost a ton to fix, what does it sound like to you?

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 9:56 PM

ASEMASTER6371

The body control module controls these functions. Have a shop check it with a scan tool to verify.

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 10:01 PM
ASHLEY8806

Should this have shown up in a mechanic check before purchasing? And what would this cost (approx) to fix?

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 10:03 PM
ASEMASTER6371

Did you pay him to look for codes in all areas? Was this issue existing when he checked it? Cannot hold him responsible for something that was not there.

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 10:05 PM
ASHLEY8806

They hooked it up to their computers, and it was 3 days ago, so I would assume it hasn't changed in 3 days, but who knows. What could we expect for a price to fix it if that's what's wrong?

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 10:07 PM
ASEMASTER6371

No clue at this point as you done even know the failure.

Let a shop check it for you and give you a bid

Sunday, May 6th, 2012 AT 10:12 PM
ASHLEY8806

Ok thanks for the advice

Monday, May 7th, 2012 AT 1:53 AM
ASEMASTER6371

Good luck

Monday, May 7th, 2012 AT 2:35 AM